Getting Rid of Cigarette Odors Inside

I use to smoke in my house and company did as well. I have cleaned all my walls, curtains, and carpets, and I still smell cigarette smoke. I use wall deodorant plugs, and wall sprays and candles. I also got a crock pot and put hot water and potpourri oils in it. I still smell it, but no really heavy smell. My house smells.

By Bobbie A from Jeffersonville, IN

Best Answer

Have you cleaned your furniture? Upholstered furniture and mattresses will hold on to that smoke smell. Even wooden furniture (be sure to clean the sides, not just the top) and cabinets need to be cleaned well to remove the tar and nicotine residue. You might not be able to see it, but it's there.

Have done all that, its still there!!

Best Answer

Place some pans of heated vinegar around the house for a few days. You can also place pans of charcoal (activated, if available). The vinegar smell will linger, but is very short lived. The smoke odor in fabrics might be reduced by spraying with Febreze?

Best Answer

Everything will need to be cleaned; smoking gets residue even inside your lights, TV, and other appliances. Clean your furniture, pillows I would toss and replace. Have you also wiped down mirrors pictures, and glass? Change your vacuum bag and air filters for your a/c and heat. It will be in your blankets, clothing, luggage, towels - everything.

It may take several years for it to totally go away. A friend of mine had her home professionally cleaned by a special smoke removal company after she quit smoking, and on damp days the smell still came out 2 years later.

Good luck!

You can take regular baking soda and then add a few drops of fragrance oil. Mix in the oil and then sprinkle on your carpets and let it sit for 10 - 20 minutes. Then vacuum up the powder and as the smell comes back (and it will) repeat.

After about 4 applications like this the smell will reduce dramatically. The longer you can leave the powder on the floor the more smell the baking soda can absorb. We did this after moving into a house where people cooked spicy food every day without ventilation.

It works! White vinegar is also a great product to use for fabrics and upholstery. Anything that can be taken off and washed in a washing machine will also help with the smell. Also vanilla does a great job of covering up the smell of smoke.

I had to clean a home once that we bought, the prior owners were smokers.

I washed the walls down with lemon ammonia in water, using a sponge mop.

I did that 3 times, leaving the windows and doors open while doing so.

Then the last time, I washed them with Murphy's oil soap in water.

I had to do the same with the cabinets, and had to shampoo the carpets.

There was even that greasy yellow film inside the fridge, and stove.

After all of that, I set out bowls of ammonia, in places where kids and animals couldn't get to, such as on top of the fridge and in the kitchen cabinets, leaving the doors of cabinets open, and all the windows.

It did make a difference.

I smoke, and I go through Febreze like crazy. I use it daily on upholstered and fabric items, and give the carpet a quick spray before bedtime. I even use it on the bed and bedding, even though I don't smoke in the bedroom. The odor does get past closed doors. My apartment's on the small side, so my computer desk is squeezed in between the bedroom and bathroom doors, the only spot it could go.

There's also this nifty little gadget that my son told me a smoking friend of his who also has a small apartment uses. There are little cartridges by Glade and they're different scents of Febreze. You have to invest in its dispenser and put a cartridge inside it. They're supposed to be good for 30 days but I find it lasts nearly twice that. Every time you walk past it, or the light near it changes (like turning a lamp on/off), or you can set it for every 30 min if neither of the above occurs, it will spritz a bit of Febreze out the top to periodically clear the air, so to speak. I use the apple cinnamon fragrance because I like the smell, but there are other scents available. You smell the fragrance, not the smoke.

http://www.glad  -with-360-design

The baking soda on the carpet is a good idea. It absorbs fridge odors, so why not other smells? Perhaps cleaning the carpets and upholstery with a carpet cleaner meant to remove pet odors might work, too. Cat pee/spray or wet dog or animal puke/diarrhea is a lot stronger than smoke smell, and those cleaners get rid of that. If everything fails, it would be worth having that stuff professionally cleaned; they'd know what to use to target smoke odors.

I'm going to try baking soda sprinkled into my ashtrays now that I've seen that suggestion. I also think having some bowls of baking soda (or charcoal) lying around could be helpful as well, but how often would it need to be changed?

I'm in the "clean everything" camp. Shampoo carpets and rugs. Clean upholstery with a shampooer or steam cleaner. Wash drapes or have them dry cleaned. Throw out any soft plastic, like cheap tupperwares, and buy more. Same with fake plants and flowers, wreathes, cheap decorations. Go yard saling or thrift store shopping to replace these items.

Dust furniture with something containing lemon oil. Pine Sol for walls and linoleum. Use those baking soda boxes with the peel-off sides inside closets. You can also use cedar and lavender sachets.

Don't bother with scented candles or plug-ins. Trust me, from a non-smoker never-smoked, it just smells to me like somebody smoking in a flower garden.

Coffee in open containers throughout the house works.

What your experiencing is, Out-gassing (sometimes called off-gassing, particularly when in reference to indoor air quality) is the release of a gas that was dissolved, trapped, frozen or absorbed in some material. Out gassing can include sublimation and evaporation which are phase transitions of a substance into a gas, as well as desorption, seepage from cracks or internal volumes and gaseous products of slow chemical reactions.

Anonymous

Sherman Williams has a patented Ionic Paint additive that removes the smell. You just add it to paint and repeint the walls and ceiling. Also a good ozone machine can help.

I'm trying to remove cigarette smoke from my rental apartment

Whether its from cigarettes or a candle, smoke leaves a greasy residue on walls and the ceiling, as it floats through the air and settles on the first hard surface it encounters. Most residue attaches to high areas like the upper half of walls and the ceilings. Simple answer re-paint the walls and mix the ionic paint additive by Air-ReNu to the paint; it's a clean, green permanent solution.

I recently moved into an apartment that was rented previously by a heavy smoker for 7 years. According to the landlord they washed the walls and then repainted and replaced the carpet. they also ozoned it. It is 6 weeks later and the entire apartment smells like a dirty ashtray and I am getting bad headaches and a sore throat from it and I am frantic. I signed a one year lease here.