Overwintering Calla Lilies

Do calla lily bulbs need to be dug up in the winter?

Hardiness Zone: 7b

By Chelle from Savannah, TN

I also live in central VA--Zone 7 and according to packaging labels the Calla Lilies are not hardy to Zone 7. I did dig mine us the first year (about 10 years ago). What a job!! I decided then that they weren't worth it and I would buy new ones every year. Didn't have to buy new ones because they have come back every year since.

In the fall I cut the old foliage down and just leave it on the bed as an insulation. I have so many now that I am giving them to all our neighbors and relatives. This past winter was one of the coldest in many years. I'll just have to wait & see if they come back. If you live any further north than zone 7 you may need to dig them up or treat them as an annual.

Sandy, Richmond, VA

They make it through Dallas Ft. Worth in Texas.

April 11, 2010 Flag

Can I leave my Calla lily outside in the winter?

Becky

Answers:

Overwintering Calla Lilies

I don't see where you live, however, I live in central VA-zone 7. I have calla lilies which have come back over the last 8-10 years. They say they are not hardy to zone 7, but mine are in a front flower bed facing west. I believe it is because that is the warmest bed with the sun hitting the bed the most year round. I love them. Good luck. (07/13/2009)

By suem1009

Growing Calla Lilies
Growing Calla Lilies
Home and Garden Gardening BulbsApril 11, 2010
Growing Cannas
Growing Canna Lilies
Growing Lilies
Growing Lilies
Growing Foxtail Lilies
Growing Foxtail Lilies
Orange Day Lilies
Getting Rid Of Day Lilies
🎉
🎄