Compost Instead of Buying Topsoil

contest winner icon

It is spring and I have been busy repotting and potting plants for the front of the house and the patio. I never buy the store-bought, chemically tainted top soil! I compost all year long. If you have not done this before, it is so easy and saves you money. I compost coffee grounds, all my veggie skins, egg shells, fruit skins, leaves, and trimmings from the yard. Do try not to compost the weeds from your yard. I even found out I can compost my paper bags. This encourages me to grow more. I don't grow many veggies, but do plant lots of flowers. My compost is readily available and does not cost me a penny.

If you have questions, you can learn how by going to this website:

By Bobbie G from Rockwall, TX

I live in town and have composted for years. It amazes me at the number of people who think compost piles stink and attract rodents, which they do not. Mine attracts worms to aerate my lawn and garden, and lots of birds who help keep mosquitos away.

I feel that intense directions that tell you to layer green and brown materials, turn weekly, water occasionally, etc, sound intimidating and make people unsure if they can make and maintain a compost pile. I simply pile things in mine as they come available. Each spring, I move my container to a new location, putting the leftover debris in as my bottom layer and use the wonderful enriched earth left from the decaying matter for my plants and garden. It takes a little longer for things to break down, but works just fine and is no work what-so-ever.

Susanmajp - do you put your compostables in a box that has sides, but no top nor bottom, fill it full, wait a year, lift the box up, stir the stuff and use it once a year?

Then move this open box to a new location and start again?

Do you have bermuda grass where you live?

Hi

to those composting, something even better, in your flower bed or veggie garden, is empty your full container of products directly into your beds by digging ahole and burying in different places throughout your beds. You will attract worms and the debris will break down. Do this one container of debris at a time and soon you will have spread it through all your beds.

Happy gardening

Patrival

Using Compost In The Garden
Using Compost In The Garden
Home and Garden Gardening CompostingMay 14, 2007
Making a Compost Bin
Making a Compost Bin
Compost bin full of vegetable waste from a kitchen.
Removing Odors From a Compost Bin
Compost Bucket Ideas
Compost Bucket Ideas
Keeping Pests Out of Your Compost Pile
Keeping Pests Out of Your Compost Pile
🎉
🎄