Employ Thrifty Ingenuity

contest winner icon

Thinking about it, it seems to me that the greatest thrifty tip is employing ingenuity! If you have a household problem, look at the conventional way of tackling it (which probably costs lots of money), and then try to turn it around to a more frugal option. Usually it involves being crafty and doing things yourself, but it is also usual that the outcome is much more satisfactory!

By Pamphyila from Los Angeles

And be sure to tell us about it here. I can't be the only one who relies on the kindness and ingenuity of others.

Hi Pamphylia!

I agree with you. Ingenuity does save money and time. If well applied, ingenuity can save thousands of dollars! Question? Why do we have refrigerators in the house during the winter months? Why not put the refrigerator right through the kitchen wall and just leave the door inside the kitchen? Outside, create a water proof cold room around the refrigerator. For those of us living in Winter conditions half the year, this system will save energy and money. Now, what about Solar powered roof shingles?

I totally agree. Since I have been reading this site, it has got me thinking. I am trying to save money on lots of things. I am crafty and have come up with a lot of ideas. My husband gives me strange looks when I suggest recycling some things, but it usually works. There is usually another use for something and a solution to a problem, if you only think outside the box.

Let creativity reign! Don't overlook standard sizes. A roll of electrical tape came in a round plastic container 3-1/2" x 3/4" that works perfectly as a cat food can lid.

Bags, Bins, Baskets, Boxes, Bowls, Buckets, Bottles

Any container can contain anything that needs containing. Thrift shops sell containers at pocket-change prices. I have so many examples of this I can't begin to pick one.

It Ain't Necessarily in the Closet

There's a basket in my hallway that has a nosegay of throw rugs sticking out of it.

I Shop In My Own House, Thanks

What do I already have that will do this job? There's got to be something. Closets, cabinets, attic, basement, garage. It isn't the product, it's the purpose. "No, Kitty, I didn't buy you a toy, but there's a feather duster under the stairs to the cellar... just a minute ..."

Free Is The Best Price

Freecycle. Craigslist. Swap. Trash room. Dumpsters. Need I say more? Freebies I've given recently: USB cable, TV remote, art supplies handmade potholders and decorative memo pads. Freebies I've received recently: Cross pen refill, dinner leftovers from a friend, downloaded audiobooks from both my county and state library systems.

Who needs to buy designated items (a special box to hold remotes?) when we have everything we need already?

For example, small children will use much less toothpaste if it comes from small tubes with really small holes, and though these cost more than the large so-called economy sizes per ounce, you will save money nevertheless because each time less will be squeezed out. Thanks to the Roman Catholic Scot with 7 kids who gave me this tip.

Frugal Living Advice
Frugal Living Advice
Better Living Frugal Living AdviceJanuary 19, 2007
Couple getting SSI help.
Finding a Good Social Security Attorney
Putting Money in Change Purse
Living a Frugal Lifestyle
Eating dinner at a campsite.
Washing Hands at the Campsite
hand soap dispenser
Refilling Hand Soap Dispensers