Felt and Beads Decoration
Would you like to inject a fresh feel to your holiday decorations? If so, try making something with an Oriental flavour for the festive season. Simply by threading lots of felt squares onto a length of yarn, along with some beads, you can quickly create a unique hanging decoration to display in your home. Get the kids involved too, and make lots more decorations to give away as gifts to family and friends.
Approximate Time: 30 minutes
- Scraps of thick felt to add further interest to the surface of plain felt stitch fancy yarns and scraps of fabric to it.
- a large-eyed sewing needle
- a pair of scissors
- a ruler
- bottle tops or mini bells
- Cut felt into squares in a range of different sizes for example; 5 x 5 cm (2x2 inches), 2 x 2cm (3/4x3/4 inches), 1.5 x 1.5cm (1/2x1/2 inches).
- Cut a length of yarn double the measurement of your intended hanging. Example: for a hanging with a finished length of 28 cm (11 inches), your yarn should measure 56 cm (22 inches) long.
- Fold your length of yarn in half and thread through a needle. Use your needle to push the yarn through the centre of a felt square. Continue threading on felt squares and beads at intervals until you are happy with the end result.
- Knot the yarn at the base of the hanging to secure the felt and beads. Similarly tie a knot at the top of the hanging; making sure a short loop is left for display purposes.
- For a further idea, thread on some mini-bells or bottle tops and display your decoration in a sheltered outdoor setting such as a porch. The gentle breeze will make your Oriental hanging 'jingle, jangle' during the holidays.
By Anne from United Kingdom
December 22, 20100 found this helpful
These are absolutely stunning! Thank you for the wonderful idea. :)
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!
You are viewing the desktop version of this page: View Mobile Site
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by ThriftyFun
generated on October 19, 2016 at 10:53:50 AM on 10.0.0.232 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer
. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us