Flea Killing Apples

Has anyone ever heard of flea killing apples? I think they are called Bard or Crab apples, they kill bugs, mainly fleas. What are they and where would I get them? Thanks.

By okha from Orlando, FL

I know I use "osage oranges" to get rid of spiders and bugs. You put them in the basement and when they start turning brown you will need to throw them away or they will start stinking to high heaven.

Where do you get "osage apples"?

The tree you referring to is The Osage Orange tree also known as Bow-wood tree; Bodark; Hedge Apple; and Maclure Pomefera. Native tree of Texas and Oklahoma. The fruit is a little larger that a soft ball, and very heavy. When we were kids we called them horse apples, probably because horses were the only thing we knew that would eat them. We lived in east Texas and they grew wild in pastures, but I have no ideal where you could get any.

You can usually find these apples in the grocery store around the end of summer or first part of fall. They usually run less that a dollar each. They are almost a lime green color and usually in the produce section. The stores call them hedge apples.

Home and Garden Pest Control FleasJune 24, 2009
Pile of green apples.
Selecting Good Apples
A pile of dried apple slices.
Drying Apples
A pile of apple slices.
Freezing Apples
Green apple sitting on the lid of a canning jar.
Canning Apples
🎄