Faux Finish Over Flat Latex

I used a wall coating with insulation in it. The coating is flat latex. I had it tinted as the company said but it has turned out too dark. The company said I can paint over it with another flat paint but I am tired of all this painting. Can I do a faux or color wash on this flat paint? I have looked everywhere for help. I need help with this please. Thanks a lot. I love this website, I look on it a lot.

Connie from Arkansas

Yes, you can do a faux finish over flat latex! I used to be a faux painter and I would regularly work on flat paint. In fact I preferred it. Just get some glaze, either already colored or get a can of clear glaze and add it to any latex/acrylic paint you want. I would usually have the clear glaze and mix 1 part paint to 3 parts glaze. That will thin out the paint enough for you to do more than one coat if you want. You can use a damp rag or a large brush to apply your mixture.

Just make sure you start in the middle of an area and work outwards. So the paint/glaze gets thinner towards the edges. Then where your edges meet, there won't be a dark overlap. The same thing when you get to corners. Hope that helps. You'll do fine. Happy painting! -Lee in Florida

I agree with Lee but with one exception; you said you are tired of painting. I would not suggest trying one of these techniques, right now wait a while and retackle the problem say in spring. I am also a painter faux tech and what seems like a small or easier job, if you have never done it before, can start causing lots of problems, when we want it done quick. We don't want it to look bad. So my advise is live with the color say through the holidays and tackle it with a more refreshed mood when you don't mind putting the time in. d

I am curious as to what the wall coating with insulation is? Living in New England, and with winter approaching, I am trying to maximize my apartment with anything that will save on heating costs.

Thanks for any input

Thanks for all the feedback. I love this site. To Marcia from New England; here is there web site for the coating.www.hytechsales.com . They are a bbb member and energy star member. and also one of nasa's technology products. They have insulation stuff, sound deadening acoustical coat. We have not moved in yet, but in a few days, we will. There is already a big change in the echos.

To Lee and others; thank you but I think I will wait until after the holidays. Thanks a lot for the feed back.

Connie, I hope I responded in the correct way and every one got this feedback. Thanks a lot!

Home and Garden Home Improvement PaintingOctober 2, 2008
White fake cake of boxes and bows
Faux Wedding Cake Ideas
A person cleaning a flat screen monitor with a cloth.
Cleaning a Flat Screen Monitor
Repairing a Flat Tire
Repairing a Flat Tire
Latex Paint
Applying Latex Paint Over Oil Paint
🎉
🎄