Caring for a Deaf and Blind Puppy

I have been working with a 9 week old puppy that is deaf and blind. It is very bright and able to learn fast. I have only had it for a few days and it knows the routine of the household rules already; where to sleep, where the food is, etc. It does have trouble getting down stairs, it must have fallen.

I have been exhausted, but it has been worth it, taking it out all the time and encouraging it to go outside in the grass. I have slept on the couch for three days. I've had my hand on her at all times, since it can't handle a kennel yet. Aussie breeds have a voice that can shatter glass.

I found that putting flattened aluminum cans in areas I don't want her to visit has helped her stay away from cords, etc. I have found aluminum foil on the cords is a waste of time. I tried it and it attracted her to chew on the cords. So aluminum cans work so well to keep some puppies out of trouble and also to alert you to when they are somewhere they shouldn't be.

Also, I made a square of aluminum foil into a butterfly shape by cinching it in the middle and hanging them out by the carport. The birds had been messing a lot on our cars and now there is not much at all. Today I put those little toy windmills, those metal looking little thingies that blow in the wind, and they are staying away more than ever! They sit on the phone wires and stare and then fly off. How hilarious!

I am glad I found these things out about aluminum!

By Robyn Fed from Hampton, TN

Anonymous

I have to hand it to you, I wouldn't have the patience to take on a project as big as this one. This website is dedicated to training a blind and deaf dog. I'm sure you will find a lot of helpful tips there. Best of luck to both of you.

http://www.paws  fdogs/index.html

That truly is a challenge, but I applaud you for taking her on. Poor baby doesn't have two of the major keys that the rest of us do. She'll give you so much pleasure and love and your empathy will be at least as much as you may get from a person. I love you for this and wish I could be there too. Take care, Susan

You are to be admired for taking up so much time with that precious little puppy - hurrahs to you! Thanks loads for the tip about the aluminum foil butterflies - I have birds trying to build a mud nest on the light on my carport! I'll try hanging some of the "butterflies" and see if that will stop them. Have a lovely day and God bless you.

Anonymous

Bless Your Heart for taking in this precious puppy! You both will have years of love, gratitude and companionship together!

Have you named her yet? Could you post a photo for us pretty please?

Hello, Bless you for taking care of the precious fur baby. You can go to Blinddog.com and get lots of info on how to care for your new baby. Hugs from Sherri & Tucker

High five for you taking on this sweet angel. It seems as you both will be there for each other. How awesome. I do however, wish you would give her a name instead of the word " it ". All the best to you both.Thanks for sharing.

Thank you for all the lovely encouragements and comments!

Also fake snakes on cars and chimes hung at almost top of the car level work too! Robyn

Here is a photo of Marley! She is a happy girl!

Anonymous

Thanks, Robyn Fed, so much for sharing the photo of your adorable baby, Marley ! :-)