Overweight Dogs

I have 2 pups. One 2 year old and one a little over 3. Both dogs love to eat. One dog is overweight by 7 or so pounds. The other needs to drop about 15 pounds. What treats can be given that is healthy and won't cause a weight gain? The heavier dog actually goes to my pear tree and takes pears off and eats them whole. They are very pampered. Both are large dogs. One is 63 lbs. and the other is about 80 lbs. Any treats I can make??

Vanet from Saugerties, NY

Mine love the little carrots, apples & bananas. I buy a lower fat cheese. I also make Frosty Paws & they each get 1 a night. There are fruits & veggies they shouldn't have (onions & raisins for ex.) & most animal org. sites have lists of them. It's also in the archives here. I cook for mine & they get a homemade meal 4 nights a wk. You could just boil chicken breasts & give them pieces of that. Make sure they're getting a high quality human grade food. Dogs tend to overeat because the food isn't giving them the nutrients they need. The good stuff will fill them up quicker & make them more satisfied. I buy Wysong but there are others. I have always free fed multiple dogs & have never had an overweight dog. OR, you might just have a couple of greedy dogs! Fill them up easier by adding these things to their diet. I cook frozen veggies for their meals but you could do it just because. They love carrots, green beans & peas.

Your dogs must be really good cooks.

From here, it looks like, except for pears, you are feeding the dogs too much and exercising them too little.

No treat is lo-cal if you eat enough of it. The first thing to do is read the label on the dog food, and feed only what's recommended for their ideal weight. Give treats really sparingly, two to three times a day.

Walk those dogs. Play catch (?with a pear?).

When my dog is gaining weight I follow my breeders recommendation and use frozen green beans.

They can have a heaping bowl for dinner every other day for two weeks instead of dinner. I microwave them until warm and there's never any left in the bowl. If you use canned beans - use the no sodium variety. Cutting back on his breakfast will also help.

I give half rations during the diet weeks.

I would take your dogs to the vet and have their health checked. Being overweignt can cause many problems ie: Heart problems, Hip problems. I would have your Vet check them and if he thinks it is necessary, he can put them on a special diet. Science Diet had a food called R/D (reducing) and W/d (weight Reducing), these are prescription only so your Vet will know what do do. I have worked for a Veterinarian for over 27 years and I have seen many overweight animals come in the hospital and when they are put on a diet they are much more healty & Happier. i know it is hard not to spoil them, but they will live longer if they are eating the correct food/portions.

Take Care,

My vet recommended cutting back on kibble and adding green beans to help my Pomeranian lose weight. She gets treats occasionally, but if you ask her if she wants a carrot she runs to the refrigerator and waits. She also likes apples - one or two small bites from the ones I am chopping for a salad...

I have a customer who comes through my grocery line, one day I made a joke about "all the cans of greenbeans" He said he does dog rescue, and many are very overweight. He says he give them alot of green beans mixed into a little dog food. This way they feel full, but with a small amout of calories. If you keep the dog food to a minimum, you could probably ad the beans a few times a day, and they would think they were being fed like always.

first, have them checked by your vet. Next, exercise, exercise, exercise!!!! Lastly, cut back on treats and over feeding.

Pets Dogs AdviceOctober 24, 2006
Preventing Heartworms in Dogs
How Do Dogs Get Heartworms?
Cat Food
Is Cat Food OK for Dogs?
Overweight English bull dog.
Diet and Exercise Tips for an Overweight Dog
A dog sitting in a garden.
Keeping Dogs Out of Your Garden