We are all washing out and re-using single-serving sized plastic bottles, right? Even if you never have an occasion to buy such things, your friends will gladly save them for you, if you ask.
Please don't re-use the bottles that single-serving beverages come in. Because they are intended to be disposed of, they're made from a lower grade of plastic which can absorb bacteria. I read an article in the newspaper warning of this. If you want to make your own flavored waters, purchase bottles intended for re-use.
The notion that freezing something in or re-using plastic bottles will cause leeching of some unseen toxin is nothing but an urban myth. It has been tested and disproved over and over. Even snopes.com has verified there is no danger in this practice. There is nothing toxic nor poisonous in the plastic bottles that beverages come in.
For the truth behind this myth, please read more about it here: http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/petbottles.asp
The article I read didn't say anything about carcinocins; it was just warning about bacteria.
My husband likes herbal ice tea (his favorite is apple-cinnamon) I was putting the tea in plastic water bottles that I cleaned and reused, but after hearing about bisphenol A on the news, I decided to buy reusable drinking bottles. Boy, are they pricey! I finally spotted Heinz vinegar in the grocery store. It comes in glass bottles with resealable caps, There is a 16 ounce size and a 32 ounce size, and the smaller one only costs around one dollar, plus you get all that wonderful vinegar that you can use in your laundry, on your windows, or for weed-killing, etc. I really don't know if you can freeze drinks in a glass bottle, but they're great for ice tea and flavored waters.
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!