Removing Build Up from Tea Kettle - Categories:

TipsCleaning

Removing Build Up from Tea Kettle

Get rid of lime deposits in a tea kettle by adding 1/2 cup white distilled vinegar to the water and letting it sit overnight.

If more drastic action is needed, boil full-strength white vinegar in the kettle a few minutes, let cool, and re-use the tea kettle with plain water. Don't pour the tea kettle vinegar down the drain.

You can freshen the drain if you first pour about 1/2 cup baking soda down the drain, then pour the hot vinegar down the drain. Or, you could use the vinegar to kill weeds. Make it do double duty!

By fossil1955 from Cortez, CO

Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

Why would you not pour the tea kettle vinegar down the drain?

September 27, 2010 Flag

I bought a second hand kettle from my charity shop, but never checked the inside. So, I need to really descale it. Can you use ordinary malt vinegar or cider vinegar, as all the tips say to use white vinegar? I just wondered what the difference is? Many thanks.

By Helen from UK

Answers:

Removing Build Up from Tea Kettle

You could use malt or cider vinegar as well; sometimes they are more expensive here in North America, so that is why white is suggested. As I said in a previous post, you might look for a special kettle descaling product or CLR if you have that product in the UK. Either would be a stronger acid, which would speed up the process if there is a lot of scale. (05/24/2010)

By louel53

Removing Build Up from Tea Kettle

I have used this. Cut a lemon in quarters and put in the kettle. Fill with water and boil. Then rinse out it works great. You may need to do this a couple of times. (05/25/2010)

By shellmax

Removing Build Up from Tea Kettle

I use borax. I put it in, add a little water to make a paste, let it sit for 30 minutes or so and scrub with a sponge. Rinse out well and several times. This is an all natural product so I would not suggest eating it, it is safe to use this way. (05/25/2010)

By cutepachef

May 23, 2010 Flag

Does anyone how to descale a kettle? How often should I descale it?

By H.Arnott from UK

Answers:

Removing Build Up from Tea Kettle

Pour vinegar in it and let it sit for a few hours. You could heat the kettle as well, to speed up the chemical reaction. There are also stronger descalers for sale in the hardware store or grocery store, or you could use CLR. Descale it whenever there appears to be significant build-up. Kettles take longer to boil when there is a lot of scale. (12/22/2009)

By louel53

Removing Build Up from Tea Kettle

I'd use vinegar to clean it now. To prevent having buildup again, get a furr collector. It is a little thing of wound up wire and it will go through the opening in the tea kettle. I got mine in London (while on a great trip) years ago and I still use it. (12/22/2009)

By suzin

December 19, 2009 Flag

To remove the buildup from the inside of a tea kettle, a friend told me this method.

Fill the tea kettle with lemon juice (bottle from juice section in grocery store is OK). Put in enough juice to cover the buildup. Leave it alone for some six hours, twirling the pot occasionally to swirl the juice.

Empty and wash clean.

By Holly from Dallas, TX

Answers:

Removing Build Up from Tea Kettle

Vinegar is a frugal natural room freshener (once the smell dissipates) and it removes mineral deposits. I fill my kettle or coffee pot with vinegar, heat it, then turn it off to sit for 2 hours. Dispose of vinegar, it freshens your drains, then run clear water through your nice clean pot.

<p.Love and Prayers,
Linda (11/10/2005)

By lindaljh1

Home and Garden Cleaning TipsSeptember 27, 2010
Wooden Spoon Stirring Kettle Corn
Kettle Corn Recipes
Tea Cup and Saucer on White Background
Crafts Using Tea Cups and Saucers
Crochet top pin cushion, a craft found on Thriftyfun. Submitted by a member.
Making a Tea Cup Pincushion
Chai Tea Latte
Chai Tea Latte Recipes
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on July 22, 2016 at 1:38:41 AM on 10.0.1.157 in 716 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.