SafetyBaby

Keeping Baby's Legs in the Crib

I am having problems keep my baby's legs in the crib, what can we do?

By Jean from Banning, CA

Try crib bumper pads. I think that's what they're called. It's been 9 years. They're these cloth pads that tie around the inside of the crib just above the mattress.

Is this a new, or hand-me-down crib? Newer cribs have the "bars" closer together, because on older cribs, not only can the legs slip through, but so could the body, but not the head; and that poses a risk of strangulation. If the crib is older than 25 years, you should see if you can find a newer one!

If it is a relatively new crib, you could try the bumper pads, and if those don't help, you might want to see if you can borrow a pack and play type of crib for a while, till your baby settles a little more in sleep patterns, and becomes more independently mobile, then you should be ok.

Ditto with crib bumper pads.

If you are thinking bumper pads please check with clinic first, I've just googled it and the news is not all good.

I'd go with Jilson, if it's wide bars get another, it's not worth the risk with a baby.

Marg from England.

Try bumper pads. They have some very good and safe ones out there now.