WaterConservation

Saving Water Together

I have a one-handle kitchen faucet, and I have noticed lately that I use too much water. I have started to reduce the flow of water when I use it. Since then, I am using a lot less water. Most of the time, just a quarter of the flow is sufficient, even sometime just a trickle is enough. And I turn it off when I don't need it, even for a few seconds. I cannot stop doing this ever since I started. I feel guilty, if I don't. Just me alone won't do much, but if everybody would do it, we would save a lot of water. Pass the word.

By Andre from Guelph, ON, Canada

My first experience with HAVING to save water came when we bought a camper. The holding tanks are not very large and sometimes that water has to last a few days and you have to do everything with it! We get in the shower, spray ourselves with water, turn the water off, soap up and wash, and then turn the water back on and rinse. Quite a difference!! In the kitchen it was much the same with no rinsing dishes before washing, just scraping and maybe wiping out with a paper towel. I learned that we really do waste tons of water every single day. We could ALL cut down.

Try telling that to a teenager! I agree completely I try to tell my son using a small stream of water is just as wet as putting it on full force and it cuts down on my water bill, too.

Editor's Note: You could try putting a bowl in the sink and showing him the difference, measure the water from 30 seconds at full force and 30 seconds at small stream. Explain all the water coming out of the tap is clean water and it takes a long time for it to get reprocessed and into the ground again to be pumped back out.