Keeping Insects Out of Bird Food Bags

Does anyone have a method to get rid of the moths that that develop in bird seed? We do not buy by bulk, we buy packaged seed like Kaytee. I use the little fly traps, recommended in the pet catalogs, but it does not take care of them all. I just had one land on my arm as I was typing this. Yuck!

By Pamela from Livona, MI

How do you store the seed? When I was in high school, we found some bugs in some dried food in our pantry (I think we found it in either dog food, or a mix like Bisquick). We started looking, and figured out we had an infestation. Mom and I went through everything, and threw a bunch of food out.

We were paranoid after that, and when we bought more flour (to replace what we had thrown away), we were looking closely as we poured it into the container. We saw a bug in the flour we just brought home from the store! Ever since then, Mom as stored anything dried in a sealed container -- like Rubbermaid, or sometimes even a Ziplock freezer bag.

So your seeds might come from with store with the critters already in them. If you store in a plastic container with a tight lid, you'll either keep the bugs out, or at least contain them just to the seed (so they don't spread to other things). I don't know how much seed you buy at one time, but they have large containers for storing and pouring dog and cat food . . . those would be great for your seed, too. Best of luck -- I hope you get it under control soon. I know that icky feeling!

Place the bag of seed into your freezer for a day or so. It kills the larvae.

I work in a bird feed store and i use my empty 40# cat litter containers. They work awesome! I also use empty milk jugs too. Look around your house see what containers you maybe able to use. Recycle. :)

I always keep mine in the freezer. I only take out enough for a couple of days, and store the rest in the freezer until I need to take some out. What I take out, I store in a sealed plastic container. The container that I use for small bird pellets, I store in an empty juice jug.

July 12, 2010 Flag

How do moths and or worms get in big bags of bird food?

By lauralclark from Iowa Park, TX

Answers:

Keeping Insects Out of Bird Food Bags

They don't get in. They are in with the seeds. Plants carry insect eggs. These eggs hatch. Freeze your bird seed to kill the bugs. The birds don't mind them. They love the bugs. Seriously, freezing the seed will get rid of any live bugs. Always store your seed in a container rather than the plastic bag it comes in. All the better if you store it outside, especially in the winter when you get cold for free. (08/12/2009)

By quiltmum

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Home and Garden Gardening Pest ControlJuly 12, 2010
bug spray
Identifying Flying Insects
Lady Bug on a Green Leaf
Identifying Beneficial Garden Insects
Insect on Inside Wall
Keeping Insects From Coming Inside
Two earwigs on a yellow flower.
Getting Rid of Earwigs
🎉
🎄