Cutting Starch in Baked Potatoes

If you're watching your carbs, try using 2 Tbsp. vinegar on your baked potato to cut the starch. When you mash it all in, you can't taste the vinegar. In fact, it tastes even better to me, tastes less starchy, and is better for you!

By Malinda from Sausalito, CA

Showing: Comments Sort

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

How does this get rid of the starch? Does a chemical reaction take place?

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Jill 4 738 Flag

While it may taste good; I sincerely doubt that the vinegar changes the molecular structure of the potato. Perhaps a chemist will enlighten us; but I would NOT count on this to convert a carbohydrate into something else.

Really, a baked potato (unless it is a huge one) is not a bad "diet" food until we cover it with fat--butter, sour cream, cheese... The vinegar does sound like a great, natural alternative to that!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

Hi,

I am retired, but I was a registered dietitian. Adding vinegar does not change anything about the potato, it is just a high acid food. The advantage is, it does not add calories like butter, sour cream, or cheese. However, you say it does not affect the taste, so it really serves no purpose.

Other than cooking methods (ex. avoid frying), there are no secret ways to take the calories from basic foods like the potato. Do pay attention to the size of the potato, 1/2 cup of potato (about a 3" potato)is a serving. I have seen potatoes in restaurants that were easily 4 times that size. Most of the classic toppings are packed with fat and calories . I like to add non-fat plain yogurt or non-fat cottage cheese and broccoli , that provides extra calcium and protein for a minimum of calories.

I hope this helps.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Comment

Food and Recipes Food Tips Helpful HintsJune 28, 2006
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Freezing Potatoes, Potatoes on white background
Freezing Potatoes
Starched Shirt
Cleaning Starch from Clothing
Mashed potatoes with bacon and cheese.
Twice Baked Mashed Potato Recipes
Hands Holding Freshly Harvested Potatoes
Harvesting Potatoes
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 8, 2016 at 11:18:09 PM on 10.0.1.208 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings