Share Crafts

Cutting Starch in Baked Potatoes

If you're watching your carbs, try using 2 Tbsp. vinegar on your baked potato to cut the starch. When you mash it all in, you can't taste the vinegar. In fact, it tastes even better to me, tastes less starchy, and is better for you!

By Malinda from Sausalito, CA

By Krys (Guest Post) 06/28/2006

How does this get rid of the starch? Does a chemical reaction take place?

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Jill 4 738 06/28/2006

While it may taste good; I sincerely doubt that the vinegar changes the molecular structure of the potato. Perhaps a chemist will enlighten us; but I would NOT count on this to convert a carbohydrate into something else.

Really, a baked potato (unless it is a huge one) is not a bad "diet" food until we cover it with fat--butter, sour cream, cheese... The vinegar does sound like a great, natural alternative to that!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By cosmic. (Guest Post) 06/28/2006

I am retired, but I was a registered dietitian. Adding vinegar does not change anything about the potato, it is just a high acid food. The advantage is, it does not add calories like butter, sour cream, or cheese. However, you say it does not affect the taste, so it really serves no purpose.
Other than cooking methods (ex. avoid frying), there are no secret ways to take the calories from basic foods like the potato. Do pay attention to the size of the potato, 1/2 cup of potato (about a 3" potato)is a serving. I have seen potatoes in restaurants that were easily 4 times that size. Most of the classic toppings are packed with fat and calories . I like to add non-fat plain yogurt or non-fat cottage cheese and broccoli , that provides extra calcium and protein for a minimum of calories.
I hope this helps.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

Post a Comment