Use Fabric Made from Bamboo

Bamboo is a renewable resource plus it helps reduce the need for laundry. Now that clothing, towels etc. are made from bamboo fiber, we can all look forward to doing less laundry. Bamboo fiber has a natural ability to repel bacteria and odors. I have personally experienced this with bamboo t-shirts I bought.

I can wear the same shirt for several days without it smelling bad. This has reduced my need to do laundry. When I do launder my bamboo clothes, I can use natural very mild laundry soap. Because of bamboo's anti-fungal properties there is no need for harsh cleaning agents. Plus, bamboo grows really fast and replenishes itself. It does not have to be planted after it is harvested, making it a renewable resource. All this plus bamboo fiber products are ultra soft!

Thanks for your post. I like to try sewing and knitting with new fabrics and yarns, but haven't tried bamboo or hemp yet. They both sound like excellent fabrics for busy days and traveling.

got any links for buying bamboo based fabric products like this sounds fascinating!

I've bought socks made from Walmart of all places.

If you sew and want to make your own try bamboo fabrics from Covered Caboose co-op on yahoo groups. I use Bamboo Jersy for bed sheets, pillow cases, clothing etc and the bamboo velour is devine. The bamboo velour and bamboo fleece are also super absorbent and make great cloth diapers. I make fitted diapers for my kids that go one like a regular one.

And I use her wool blend to make a natural anti-bacterial anti-microbial cover in the form of pants. A little lanolin and they don't need to be washed often, just aired.

fabric rolls
Using Bamboo Fabric
Better Living Green Living ShoppingSeptember 16, 2008
spatula, spoon, and fork
Using Bamboo Cooking Utensils
Upclose picture of bamboo flooring.
Cleaning Bamboo Flooring
Selling Bamboo
Growing Lucky Bamboo
Growing "Lucky Bamboo"