Recipe Using Day Old Bagels

I'm looking for ways to use bagels that are a few days old. Has anyone used them in a breakfast casserole type of a recipe or bread pudding or stuffing, etc.? I'd love to have recipes or direct me to a Website that might have some ideas.

Please help, me as I'm trying to be frugal on a limited income.

Thanks,
Eva

Freeze them (well wrapped) while fresh.

You can also steam them for a few minutes to liven them up : )

I BAKE MY OWN BREAD WHICH HAS NO PRESERVATIVES. I USE STALE BREAD TO MAKE BREAD PUDDING AND BREAKFAST CASSEROLES.

BREAD PUDDING

FILL BUTTERED CASSEROLE WITH BITE SIZE PIECES OF STALE BREAD.

BEAT 4 EGGS

ADD 1 C SUGAR

1 t CINNAMON (OPTIONAL)

1/2 C RAISINS (OPTIONAL)

1 t VANILLA

2 CUPS MILK

1 t SALT

POUR OVER BREAD PIECES AND SPRINKLE WITH MORE SUGAR& CINNAMON AFTER BREAD HAS SOAKED UP ALL LIQUID.

BAKE AT 350 FOR ABOUT 30 MINUTES OR UNTIL FIRM AND GOLDEN ON TOP.

SERVE WARM WITH LEMON CURD, BOURBAN SAUCE OR NOTHING AT ALL. MY 83 YEAR OLD DADDY LIKES IT WITH HALF N HALF OR ICE CREAM WHILE IT'S STILL WARM.

BREAKFAST CASSEROLE

FILL BUTTERED CASSEROLE DISH WITH STALE BREAD CUBES.

ADD CUBED HAM OR COOKED SAUSAGE - BROKEN PIECES OF BACON

ADD SHREDDED CHEDDER CHEESE

TOSS WITH BREAD CRUMBS.

BEAT 6 EGGS AND 1 CUP MILK WITH SALT AND PEPPER

POUR OVER BREAD MIXTURE AND TOSS TO COAT WITH EGG MIXTURE. AFTER BREAD HAS SOAKED UP ALL LIQUID BAKE AT 350 FOR ABOUT 30 MINUTES OR UNTIL FIRM. TOP WITH MORE CHEESE AND RETURN TO OVEN UNTIL CHEESE IS MELTED AND BUBBLING.

YOU CAN SAUTE ONIONS, PEPPERS (HOT OR SWEET) AND ADD TO BREAD MIX BEFORE ADDING EGG MIXTURE AND THIS ADDS EXTRA PIZZAZ AS WELL.

I SERVE THIS WITH FRESH FRUIT OR SLICED TOMATOES - JUICE AND COFFEE. MAKES A GREAT EVENING MEAL TOO. GREAT FOR FEEDING A BUNCH FOR A LITTLE MONEY.

GARLIC CROUTONS

CUBED STALE BREAD OF ANY KIND

MIX TOGETHER:

1 STICK BUTTER MELTED

MINCED GARLIC TO TASTE (I USE 4 CLOVES)

1 TEASPOON SALT

DRIZZLE OVER BREAD CUBES AND TOSS UNTIL COATED. ADD HERBS OF YOUR CHOICE OR NOT - GREAT AS IS.

PLACE ON NON-STICK COOKIE SHEET IN A SINGLE LAYER AND BAKE AT 425 UNTIL TOASTED GOLDEN. WATCH CLOSELY SO IT DOESN'T BURN. CAN BE STORED IN A ZIP LOCK BAG FOR SEVERAL DAYS.

GREAT ON SALADS OR SOUP

PUT IN A BLENDER AND MAKE BREAD CRUMBS WITH HERBS OF CHOICE AND A LITTLE OLIVE OIL - BAKE AS A TOPPING ON YOUR FAVORITE CASSEROLE FOR ADDED FLAVOR AND CRISPINESS.

USE AS BREAD CRUMBS IN YOUR FAVORITE MEAT LOAF OR MEAT BALL RECIPE OR TO COAT CHICKEN OR PORK CHOPS FOR A CRISPY COATING AFTER YOU DIP IN FLOUR AND EGG WASH.

Bagel Pudding Recipe source: Unknown

1 Cinnamon raisin bagel (you could use plain and add cinnamon and raisins)

1 egg

3/4 c milk or 1/2 & 1/2

2 Tbsp sugar

2 Tbsp butter/margarine-melted

1 Tbsp vanilla

Cut bagel into 1/2 inch cubes to obtain 1 1/2 cups. Beat egg, stir in milk, sugar, butter and vanilla. Heat slowly until just warm, stir in bagel cubes. Cover and place in refrigerator 30 minutes or more, stirring once or twice.

Pour into small buttered casserole dish, cover with foil. Bake at 325F for 25-30 minutes. Test center for doneness. Serve hot with whipped cream flavored with vanilla.

ENJOY!

You could make bagel chips.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees and lightly spray 2 baking sheets with regular or olive oil cooking spray.

Cut bagels in half vertically, then cut into thin rounds, or stand on cut ends and slice into thin half circles. Place on baking sheets and spray with cooking spray. Bake 10 minutes or till crispy.

You can also sprinkle with garlic powder and any herb you like after spraying or be really bad and skip the spray and brush each side with garlic butter before baking! This works with pita bread and tortillas too.

Bagel Pudding Recipe source: Unknown

1 egg

3/4 c milk or 1/2 & 1/2

2 Tbsp sugar

2 Tbsp butter/margarine-melted

1 Tbsp vanilla

ENJOY!

Day old bagels in our house, usually means that they get toasted rather than eaten fresh. But aside from that, we use them to make pizza - Toast them first, then add pizza sauce, mozzarella cheeses, and your favorite toppings. Put in the oven or under the broiler just long enough to melt the cheese. The possibilities are endless. Of course, you probably wouldn't want to use blueberry or cinnamon bagels, but I guess these would work too, if you wanted to use maybe a creamy cheese and a fruit topping....

I especially like blueberry or cinnamon raisin bagels warmed in the microwave, buttered and filled with bacon and egg for a breakfast sandwich.

I have also cut them up and put in my food processor or blender to make bread crumbs.

I keep our bagels in the refrigerators since there is no way that we can eat 6 or 8 bagels in 24 hours as there is only my hubby & myself. They will last for a few weeks & if for some reason you think they won't get eaten in that amount of time, freeze them.

Bagels last for awhile so they wouldnt be stale or bad in just a few days. I would freeze them if you can't use them right away.

I have used a few day old bagels as the bread with dinner at times.

What I did to the bagels was this:

Get a frying pan out. Turn it to medium heat.

Put a tablespoon of Extra Virgin Olive Oil, coat the bottom of the pan.

Cut the bagels in 1/2, then butter them.

Place the butter bagels in the pan. Let them crisp until golden brown.

The Garlic, The Everything and Plain bagels go VERY well with pasta!

We love baked bagels. Half your bagels and cover with cream cheese. Add a thin slice of ham(any kind will do. we like turkey ham.) Put sprouts any kind we prefer alfalfa though. Cover with a slice of american, cheddar or your choice of cheese. Nummmmmmmmy

Bake on 350* for about 8 minutes. Till cheeses melt.

We have most of these ingredients on hand so it is an easy, fast and inexpensive way to feed family. Of course hubby eats more then one. You can add what ever to it to make up your meal.

I read children should always eat potatoes, so we have them almost every day. We have potato farmers living up north a bit so we buy 50 to 100 lb at a time for about $8.00 a bag. If you bake them and slice in half almost all the way through, dig out the potato and mix like you would mashed potatoes. I add a small amount of bacon/bits, veggie of choice to help expand the meal. The kids really like this for dinner.

Baked squashes any kind you like are great and oven is on.

I try to do as much with the oven at that time as I can. It helps cut on cost and baking a few extra potatoes are great for fried potatoes the next day with eggs.

I've tried the recipe using 7 cinnamon bagels (cut up) and then placed in a baking dish. Pour a mixture of 12 eggs, 1 block of cream cheese (diced),and 1 small bottle of syrup. Cover the casserole with one can of apple pie mix and then sprinkle with cinnamon. Cover with aluminum foil, bake at 350 for at least an hour or until a knife comes out clean. This recipe can also be done with blueberry bagels and substitute blueberry pie mix.

Yo, Me too! I need a way to use these bagels, because I get at least two dozen a day for free! maybe improvisational cooking could be in order.

Bagel with smoked salmon.
Recipes Using Bagels
Food and Recipes Recipes Cheap MealsSeptember 22, 2005
A variety of bagels.
Freezing Bagels
Pizza Bagels
Pizza Bagel Recipes
Bagels
Storing Bagels
Green Valentine's Day Ideas, heart shaped leaf
Being Single on Valentine's Day
🎉
🎄