Storing Essential Oils

I have just started to use essential oils for my skincare and have read how to store them. What I would like to know would it be better to store the oils in my fridge to prolong the shelf life or just keep them in the dark bottles in a cupboard. Many thanks.

By Helen from U.K

To avoid deterioration and protect the aromatic and therapeutic properties of your essential oils, store them in amber or cobalt blue bottles. Dark glass such as amber or cobalt helps to keep out deteriorating sunlight. Be leery of purchasing any oils sold in clear glass bottles. Clear glass bottles are not harmful to essential oils, but clear glass does not protect the oils from damaging sunlight. Beer deteriorates quickly and is often bottled in amber glass for a similar reason. Avoid purchasing pure essential oils sold in plastic bottles as the essential oil will eat at the plastic, and the essential oil will become ruined over a short period of time. Some vendors sell oils in lined aluminum bottles. It has been said that aluminum bottles are acceptable if the interior of the bottles are lined. Good luck.

hi kffrmw88 once again many thanks for your informative reply re storing essential oils. I think you should start your own website based on your knowledge. Thankyou helen x

I have always purchased brown bottled only and keep them stored upright in a bathroom drawer. I have some, that I don't use often, which are over a decade old and they are still as fresh as the day they were purchased.

The only thing you really need to worry about is if by some chance they reach 90 plus degrees (such as if you had one stored or left in your vehicle) just don't open the cap until it has cooled down to room temperature.

Also, there is no need to store them in the refrigerator.

Lavender Essential Oil
Using Essential Oils
Health & Beauty Beauty Beauty Recipes AdviceMarch 4, 2010
Lavender Essential Oil
Using Lavender Essential Oil
Homemade perfume in a glass bottle.
Homemade Perfume Recipes
Lavender Oil
Making Lavender Oil
A sachet filled with potpourri
Crafts Using Potpourri
🎄