Washer Isn't Draining

I recently got a vintage Maytag A408S washer. The machine seems to work well overall, including the suds saver feature. But the rinse water doesn't drain, leaving clothes sopping wet. Also, there's a slow leak from the bottom. Any suggestions for fixing these issues?

By Cecelia from Cincinnati, OH

I got the last sudsaver washer made and it is a Maytag. Your siphon hose is maybe plugged, check the screen on it. The leaking, maybe that is the washer too full. Put clothes in and then add the water. Sometimes it swishes over and leaks. Been there done that.

Another suggestion. Maybe the timer is on it ways out. My did this and we ordered online for the part (call Maytag to get the right part number for your machine) and saved over $75 on the part alone. 10 minutes to install it ourselves.

My washer too, was leaking. I took the front panel off. (Look online for instructions on how to do this.) I started the wash machine, so I could see where the leak was coming from. I discovered a hole in the washtub! I went to Wal Mart and bought some JB Waterweld. I applied this to the hole. (You could not see the hole inside the tub. This hole was on the outside of the tub.)...Apparently the tub had rusted through. The hole was about the size, of the diameter, of a pencil. This stopped the leak! I was shocked! It has not leaked in a year!

July 26, 2011 Flag

I have a Frigidaire heavy duty, extra large capacity, 2 speed combo 3/4 horse power motor washing machine. My machine is not working properly when you put clothes into washer it fills with the water and washes the clothes, but when it goes into the rinse cycle it spins as if it is going to empty out the water, but it doesn't. What might be the problem?

By Nellie from Woodland Park, NJ

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Sounds like the water pump. Call a repairman.

We have had very good luck repairing our own washing machine by searching online for how to repair it ourselves. Here are some links we found helpful.

http://www.repairclinic.com/Washing-Machine-Repair-Help

http://www.hometips.com/repair-fix/ ... achine-troubleshooting-problems.html

It might be the drain is plugged. This happened to me once when washing new towels. The fluff plugged a hose and a repairman fixed it. Wish I'd tried to fix it myself like adina72.

I had this happen twice. Once there was a baby sock stuck in the drain hose/filter. Once it was the pump gone bad. If it is a sock you could fix it yourself.

June 12, 2010 Flag

I have a question on my my Maytag washing machine. It's a top loading Atlantis model. Recently it has been over flowing and not spinning out the water after a wash cycle.

I opened the top and put it through a couple of loads and I noticed that the machine goes into a slow spin after washing, but does not drain. But if I open the cover, then close it, the water drains immediately.

Am I looking at a stuck valve, sock in the pump, bad relay? Clues, hints? I'm trying to avoid having a repair man come out. They tend to be 1/2 the cost of a new one just to come by and look.

By Steveberry from Littleton, MA

Answers:

Washer Isn't Draining

If it's fairly new, I'd say sock in the pump. Most companies have a hotline number for self repair, and you can get advice. Or they used to. (09/04/2009)

By PIKKA

Washer Isn't Draining

You might try totally unplugging it and leave it for 24 hours, this sometimes remedies the synch problem and lets the washer "computer" reset it's self. This information came from a GE repairman who worked on mine while it was still under warranty. He said that washers were just like home computers, that occasionally they get a glitch in them and need a reboot (unplugged for 24 hours). I have done this in the past when my machine was acting up and it came back to normal operation. Thank goodness because my warranty expired 3 years ago. (09/07/2009)

By xraysrfun

September 3, 2009 Flag

I have a fairly new Kenmore washer (purchased new in 2002) and it has two settings for washing, heavy duty and regular. For some reason it only washes and agitates in the Regular cycle, but it doesn't drain and spin.

If I come back to the machine and switch to the Heavy Duty cycle and put it in spin mode it spins and drains perfectly. Does anyone know why it would only work in the one cycle and not the other, so strange that one works and one doesn't. Please help me before I call out and spend hundreds to have it fixed. Thank you so much for any input.

By Skiider from CA

Answers:

Washer Isn't Draining

Mine did the same thing and it was the filter at the end of the hot water hose. (07/24/2009)

By church1040

July 22, 2009 Flag

My Kenmore washer won't drain on its own. Each drain cycle, I have to push in the knob and pull out again, then it drains. That works, but it is hard to do laundry when you have to watch for each cycle to end. Any suggestions?

se from Maryland

Answers:

Washer Isn't Draining

Sometimes it's worth it just to call in a repairman. What if there's an electrical problem of some sort, and you try to repair it yourself? It's not worth taking the chance of a fire starting in your laundry room.

Being that it's a Kenmore, you can buy a warranty for it. That's what we did when we got our older Kenmore fixed, and it saved us about $100. The repair was over $300, and the warranty was only about $200 or so. Plus, we know the job was done right. (08/26/2008)

By WildIrish

Washer Isn't Draining

Sounds like your timer is going out. When that happens the only thing you can do is replace it. (08/27/2008)

By Bev

Washer Isn't Draining

If the washer won't finish a cycle, it probably means that your timer went bad or stalled. You can take the control panel off and look at the contacts for scorching or corrosion.

If you decide to repair it yourself, you can order a replacement washer timer online here: http://www.apwagner.com (09/30/2008)

By MikeS142

Home and Garden Repair Appliances Clothing WashersJune 12, 2010
Top Loading Washer
Top Loading Washer Not Draining
yellow slime mold on mulch
Getting Rid of Slime Mold
A repairman looking at a washing machine.
Repairing a Washer That Won't Drain or Spin
Windshield wiper tip on windshield
Homemade Windshield Washer Fluid
🎉
🎄