Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

Craft Ideas for 3 Year Old

Do you have any craft ideas for a 3 year old girl?

By lucysmam from UK

By lucysmam [1]08/13/2010

Thanks for so many great ideas! I'll print these off & start planning for the next couple of weeks.

By Amy08/11/2010

Family fun definitely has great ideas.

Following activity is for children that do not have to put everything they touch in there mouth! (Some 3 year olds are ready for this....some are not.) I used to make colored noodles and my girls would string them. My girls are 9 and 10 now, but I still come across some of those "necklaces" they made when they were little. To make colored noodles mix rubbing alcohol and food coloring together. Then add dry noodles of different shapes. Soak until the color reaches the desired color (the longer they soak, the darker they will get up to a point.) Strain out noodle and put on a cookies sheet to dry. Depending on the type of noodles you color, you can string them or use glue and paper to make a collage.

If your child likes to play with playdough, search for a cinnamon applesauce dough recipe. I typically use the recipe that includes school glue so again an activity for kids past the oral stage. This dough can be used to make ornaments for a Christmas tree or nice hanging air fresheners. These can also be used to decorate gifts to loved ones and teachers/care givers.

Paint and multiple paint "tools". Try rolling marbles or toy cars in paint. For this activity I always tape a piece of paper into the bottom of a box so the child can drop the marble or car in and tilt the box to get different effects. Of course the car could just be pushed around after dipping in paint. Combs and knotched cardboard can also make interesting pictures. Cookie cutters work as well.

By Sandi [390]08/11/2010

Get a used kids puzzle (with the bigger pieces) at a thrift shop. Give her some Dollar Tree paints, foam brushes and glitter.

Using tacky glue and pin backs/magnets, put them on the backs of the puzzle pieces before they are painted. If the pin back is used, she will have that to hold on to. If you use the magnet, place them on a cookie sheet and she can paint them without a mess.

You will both have lots of fun. Another idea is to use white glue and water (1/2 and 1/2) and put the glue on the puzzle piece. Then put on magazine cutouts, like a collage, or paint a solid color and put on stickers when it's dry.

Have a lot of fun...I did with my daughter!

By christi [66]08/11/2010

Family fun crafts has tons of crafts and they are listed by age group. http://familyfun.go.com/crafts/crafts-by-age/

By carolcoen [1]08/11/2010

Knot a shoelace and have the 3 yr old string buttons on it and tie in a knot when full. Pierce a picture in lightweight cardboard and take different color yarn and thread onto a plastic needle and embroider the design.

By susan [33]08/11/2010

Snowman

Take a wood ice cream spoon, white paint, black marker, small piece of fleece or old sweat shirt, piece of flannel shirt, white glue and small buttons.

Paint the front of the spoon white and let dry. Add two dots for eyes about 1/4" below the top of the handle. Dip buttons into white glue and place down the front in a line. Take a narrow strip of flannel and wrap around the neck, glue. Add a large bead of glue to the back and front sides at the top of the handle and wrap a strip of fleece around and clip with a bag clip until dry. Add a rubber band or ribbon to the end of the tube to make a stocking cap, you can make this any length you want.

You can glue a pin or a magnet onto the back or you can extend the ribbon on the hat to make a gift tag hanger, write names on the back. Happy Holidays. :)

By ANNE08/11/2010

I have gotten many wonderful, fun ideas from this site for the 2 1/2 yr. old little girl that I keep. Good luck and have fun!
freekidscrafts.com

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Craft Ideas for 3 Year Old

I have a 3 year old daughter; she will be 4 in May. I want some fun crafts that she and I could do together. Any ideas?

By K.Sowders from Henderson, KY

RE: Craft Ideas for 3 Year Old

My daughter just turned 4. She loves playing with playdough. We get seasonal cookie cutters, cut out shapes, allow to dry and then paint. She also loves cutting things from magazines and making collages.

We use upside down egg cartons to make caterpillars and spiders. Just cut off a row of the ridged egg holder side, paint, poke pipe cleaners through as legs, add some googly eyes. We've made flowers by cutting circles out of tissue paper, then putting a pipe cleaner through the middle of a bunch of colors and crinkling them up.

She also loves just threading beads onto pipe cleaners as jewelry. This is especially nice for the kids with less hand eye coordination, because the pipe cleaners are easier to thread than string.

I use the website kaboose.com and amilyfun.go.com, as well as Rosie O'Donnell's craft book. In fact, it's been awhile since we've done crafts, I just might have to get our book out today and make some Valentine crafts! (02/08/2010)

By weeirishlassy

RE: Craft Ideas for 3 Year Old

My daughter loves to paint. We painted her hands and formed them into the shape of a heart and cut it out. I put her name and date on it to look at in years to come. She loves to glue foam shapes onto construction paper to make pictures. Check out childcareland.com for ideas. You can sign up to receive daily newsletters which will include a craft, a printable, and an activity for the day. I have received some great ideas from here. Sometimes I will add to the project too.

Check out your library for craft books, too. I was at the library the other day and my library had a few Mailbox magazines. They are really great to find some ideas from. You will find them in the book section and not the magazines. It is a book for teachers. Hope this helps! (02/08/2010)

By sgibbs1

RE: Craft Ideas for 3 Year Old

Some years ago when I worked in a preschool we had fun making Flubber. It's not messy and can be kept for a while. Here's the recipe:

In a large container with a lid combine:

• 1 1/2 cups warm water
  • 2 cups of white glue
  • food coloring (few drops)

In second smaller container combine:

• 1 1/3 cups warm water
  • 3 tsp. Borax (Borateem)

Mix ingredients in each container thoroughly. Pour contents of smaller container in to large container. Gently lift and turn the mixture until only about a tablespoon of the liquid is left. Flubber will be sticky for a moment or two. Let excess liquid drip off then Flubber will be ready. Stretch it, bounce it, or roll it! Store in an airtight container for about three weeks of use. (02/09/2010)

By jabsgram