Fragrant Fire Starters
- paper egg carton
- old candles and crayons
- coffee can for melting the waxes
- assorted dried fruit
- whole nutmeg and cinnamon
- small pine cones
- spruce sprigs or fir needles (optional)
- craft knife
- pot to put coffee can in
- metal spoon
- pot holders
If you want to make these into a gift, you will also need:
- basket with handle
- gift card and markers
- excelsior or shredded newspaper
- Cut lid off the carton.
- Melt the candles and crayons on low heat.
- With hand protection, pour 1 inch of wax mix into the whole egg carton. Before it hardens, add the pine cones, fruit, spices, spruce sprigs, and such. Allow wax to harden.
- Once it is cooled, use craft knife to separate the egg cups. Line basket with excelsior or shredded news print and add cups. Make a sign saying "for your fireplace" and decorate with bows.
This is also a good seller at bazaars, as the scents draw people to your table!
Note: This is not a project for unsupervised kids.
Source: I found this in a craft book several years ago, but I don't have it anymore.
By Poor But Proud from Sweet Home, OR
June 3, 20130 found this helpful
Just thought I'd give a head's up: Pine cones CAN be dangerous for indoor fireplaces due to the fact that they emit Creosote which can buildup in a fireplace which can be dangerous, but a few pine cones (and done correctly) shouldn't hurt.
Check out this website: SafeSideChimney.com (http://www.safesidechimney.com/enjoy.htm) to find out indoor fireplace safety tips, in particular those involving pine cones.
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!
In This Article
You are viewing the desktop version of this page: View Mobile Site
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by ThriftyFun
generated on October 24, 2016 at 11:53:40 AM on 10.0.0.146 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer
. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us