When Should We Have Our Parent's Anniversary Party?

We are planning a 50th wedding anniversary celebration for our parents and I would like someone's opinion on when to have it. Their anniversary is December 8 and I thought it would be nice to have an open house in early December. Although it may be a problem for my children to get there since they will be away at college and who knows what the weather will be like that time of year. We live 250 miles away from my family. Or maybe we could do it the weekend after Thanksgiving when everyone is home. My brother prefers something more informal. He would like to just do a family dinner in December and then next summer have a big picnic for them and invite all their friends and relatives. I like that idea, but I hate to wait that long. They're getting up there in age and even though they are in good health you never know what may happen. Plus would it look bad to wait so long? I'd appreciate anyone's opinion on this.

Char from Joliet, IL

I feel it would be most appropriate to have the celebration as close as possible to the actual anniversary date. The weekend immediately after Thanksgiving seems like a very good idea to me. It would be less than 2 weeks before the date and you'd be making it very convenient for those who have to travel by letting one trip cover two celebrations........Thanksgiving and 50th Anniversary! Why would anyone complain about saving some of the expensive gas these days! Go for it! By the way, most brothers are notorious for wanting to downscale things like this. Fifty years is a great reason to have a big celebration! Fewer and fewer couples get to celebrate that achivement these days! Make it special for your parents (and especially for your mother since we ladies really do enjoy, and most have earned the right to have, such a party!)!

I would suggest having their anniversary either December 9th, 10th, or 30th. It loses some significance if you wait half a year to have it. Perhaps all your kids could make it to the Dec. 30th date as college would be on break during that time.

For my parents 50th, we had a family dinner, as my Dad is quite disabled, but they both still wanted to do something. Their living brothers, sisters, and nephews and nieces were also invited.

I put a very nice article (and wedding and current photos) in the newspaper about them and asked people to send cards to my address which I presented to them in a nice keepsake box. My Dad's old army buddy even came to see him shortly before the day!

I made the cake (tiered), made the invites, made the pacecards, etc. They were very pleased.

Perhaps, if you want to invite the public, you could have snacks and cake for a couple of hours before or after the family meal.

I too would suggest a date very close to the actual anniversary date. I like the idea of either Thanksgiving or New Year's weekend, but, if you are inviting friends of your parents for an open house, think about whether or not they will be available on those holiday weekends rather than Dec. 9th or 10th. Go with whatever weekend within a month or so of the actual date works best. I certainly wouldn't wait until next summer for the actual celebration. I agree with the others that typically men just don't think these things through.

my hubby's grandparents just had the party for their 50th this last month and their anniversary is actually in Dec. Their kids wanted to do it before the weather got bad since they are in Wyoming.

If you were considering doing it the following summer, why not do it this summer. Planning time will be close, but could do it before the kids go off to school , etc. Like you said, they are getting up in age, and I hate to say it, but one or both may not be here next summer, same with their friends. Or the Saturday after Thanksgiving is good, the kids should still be home. Rent a hall, have an open house, and if money is a problem, make it a pot luck type thing, combination family reunion and party. If either one is a veteran, should be able to use a VFW hall or American Legion hall. If they are members of the Moose or some such organization, could use their hall.

What about renting a hall and having it on New Years Eve. Everyone is already looking for something to do, the stess of Christmas shopping is over so people will be more likely to come and bring a gift. Plus your children in college will be on Christmas break. Let us know what you decide. Good luck! Jodi Stepaniak

Those who are the children and grandchildren and plan to put the Anniversary Party together sshould discuss in person, by e-mail or letter to make it a family affair. Grandparents are special to everyoneand the family will see the logic in having a wonderful 50th Anniversary Party.

with the cost of travel, , you can have two or three of you coordinate and keep a up to date itinerary. The costs make the holiday dates or time following them perfect.

Happy 50 th to your Parents!

Holidays and Parties Parties AnniversaryAugust 1, 2006
60th Anniversary Party Ideas
60th Anniversary Party Ideas
50th Wedding Anniversary Party
50th Wedding Anniversary Party Ideas
Anniversary Party
Anniversary Party Ideas
Couple on Anniversary Trip
Frugal Anniversary Travel Ideas
🎄