Buying a Laptop

I am looking for a laptop for travel use. It will only be used for internet and word processing. Any input appreciated.

By Anniev from NC

Different laptops have different pluses and minuses. I purchased a VIAO because of larger key and what seems to be a more dependable touch pad. I also found to my surprise that it has built in wireless networking capabilities that was easy to set up (found this out in a hospital with no tech help to set up the feed). The screen is a nice size with good resolution and over all I think it is much better than Dell which seems to have gotten shotty over time with their products.

I love my netbook. It is small, has an extra-long battery life (close to 8 hours), and a relatively large keyboard for a netbook. There are not a lot of "bells and whistles", but is has USB ports, built in internet, etc.

If it was my only laptop, I would also have gotten an external CD drive, as that would be useful (and they are not expensive).

The compact size, good memory size, etc. are so nice for travel.

Look around, they have different features; are not terribly expensive, and tthere are a lot of sales right now.

Also be aware that if yours does not come with word processing software, you can download windows compatible software for FREE at open office (dot) org. It is reliable and easy, just remember to save documents as .doc, so they are easily opened by Word.

Visit the Kim Kamando website. She has a 3 hour radio show every week nationwide all about computers, etc. www.kimkamando.com She answered this very same question about a week or so ago.

I bought a compaq a year ago. Its what I wanted, all my desktops have always been compaq so I wouldnt look at anything else. Regretting that now. Not because I dont love my laptop, I do, but my sister in law got an acer and I like it better, lol. Its so much lighter, mine is so dang heavy, plus so much cheaper. She uses hers for school and work and travels with it all the time. So look into Acers.