We have an oak dining table. There are 2 candles on stands that we rarely use, but after we did the ash from the candle wicks got onto our table. Thinking that it would just brush off we tried, but it smudged. Now there is a black stain across the table.
I tried a damp cloth with a tiny bit of washing up liquid as this is normally how I clean the table, although this helped, the stain hasn't gone completely. I don't want to ruin the table, but I would like to remove the mark. Please help
By helpme from Kent, UK
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!
I need to remove some candle wick ash off my table as well. I tried to post a reply to some one else's request for help, but it didn't work. So I am asking here to see if I can get a reply. Thanks
By Chris from Tidworth, Hants
Sounds like you have also got wax build up and that is what the ash is in. Try some ivory liquid soap and water and get the wax buildup off and the ash will come with it. I found this out from a furniture store of fine furniture over 30 years ago and tried it. I was surprised how much wax was there but the table was beautiful again with no flaws. Don't let it set just wash with wet cloth and dry then let dry. If it is in the wood that is a bigger problem.
a picture would help.
Thanks fuzzytufts for the input. I don't have ivory liquid soap but I do have dish soap and will give that another try.