Cleaning Candle Wick Ash off Oak Table

We have an oak dining table. There are 2 candles on stands that we rarely use, but after we did the ash from the candle wicks got onto our table. Thinking that it would just brush off we tried, but it smudged. Now there is a black stain across the table.

I tried a damp cloth with a tiny bit of washing up liquid as this is normally how I clean the table, although this helped, the stain hasn't gone completely. I don't want to ruin the table, but I would like to remove the mark. Please help

By helpme from Kent, UK

Answers

May 3, 2011 Flag

I need to remove some candle wick ash off my table as well. I tried to post a reply to some one else's request for help, but it didn't work. So I am asking here to see if I can get a reply. Thanks

By Chris from Tidworth, Hants

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Sounds like you have also got wax build up and that is what the ash is in. Try some ivory liquid soap and water and get the wax buildup off and the ash will come with it. I found this out from a furniture store of fine furniture over 30 years ago and tried it. I was surprised how much wax was there but the table was beautiful again with no flaws. Don't let it set just wash with wet cloth and dry then let dry. If it is in the wood that is a bigger problem.

a picture would help.

Thanks fuzzytufts for the input. I don't have ivory liquid soap but I do have dish soap and will give that another try.

Home and Garden Cleaning FurnitureMay 1, 2011
Coal
Uses for Coal Ash
Logs burning in a fireplace.
Cleaning Your Fireplace
A finished cigarette.
Uses for Cigarette Ash
Oak Pedestal
Refinishing Oak Furniture
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 27, 2017 at 1:37:55 AM on 10.0.2.205 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.