Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Privacy Window Coverings

I am needing privacy at my downstairs apartment window, which is next door to a public recreational center. You see, since I have only 2 windows on a single side of the apartment, the idea of using draperies would make the apartment appear like a dungeon, much too dark.

And even though I have venetian blinds, I still feel unsafe, because I know for a fact that outsiders could still see images of me moving around inside and could also see inside plain as day if they came close enough to peek through the venetian drawstring holes, during the dark of night.

In other words, I want to be able to see out, but yet have the security of knowing no one could be peeking in. Any ideas other than draperies or Reynolds Wrap?

If you suggest buying something, please share with me of its availability.
Thanking you so much in advance and sending God's blessings your way.

By Lois Jean from Brandenburg, KY

Here are the recent answer to this question.

03/17/2011

I cover my windows with Wax Paper scotch taped onto the window with a one or two inch opening at the tops so that I can see outside...the wax paper stops persons from looking inside and filters the bright sun light from coming into the room allowing a light that can be seen through the was paper only.

By Cricket [201]03/16/2011

If you go to the automotive department at Wal Mart, KMart or Target you can find the film that's made to be used on car windows. I use this on all my front windows because here in southeastern NC the sun pours in and really gets it baking hot in here in the summer. My home faces directly into the south sun so I have to do everything I can to keep it out. But like you, I don't like living with that dungeon feeling either.

I get the darkest film they have and apply it to my windows. Voile! I can see out clearly, but even coming close nobody can see in. My husband and I tested it and he had to come almost nose to nose with the window and me almost touching the window on the inside before he could see my silhouette.

I'll admit this film isn't cheap, but it would solve your problem for sure.

Since my problem is only in summer, I take mine down in the fall and re-apply the same film the next year.

By Lilac [18]03/16/2011

I suggest some heavy drapes to pull at night. No one could see through blinds and heavy drapes. In the daytime, tilt the blinds upwards. I wonder how close people come to your windows. YOu might also try cafe style curtains that can be closed across the bottom and opened across the top except for a valance. That would let a lot of light in during the day. Otherwise go to the hardware store and get some plastic that is made to reflect the sun and place it on your panes. It looks like a mirror from the outside but you can see out from the inside.

By Judy = Oklahoma [57]03/16/2011

You used to be able to get window film that was coated so you can see out but people can't see in. You cut it to fit, wet your window then put the film on & rubbed it down. You should probably still be able to get it at a hardware store, but if not, then try an auto parts store.

Also, the blind trick of turning your blinds to point up does work, I've done that with mine for over 20 years now & it makes a big difference.

By Sandi [390]03/16/2011

Another good idea is go to Walmart, and in the stores that have a good sized craft section, you can find rolls of 5' wide plastic ware. You can get it that looks like lace with flowers, etc. You can't see through it but it does shine in the light. You can also get frosted contact paper in some places. You can also just soap the windows, but it will run off when the condensation hits, so try some things like redhatterb suggested. Good luck!

By marion davidson [22]03/16/2011

Whatever you do, I would put up curtains to close at night, then you know that nobody will be able to see in when you have the lights on.

By Joan [13]03/15/2011

If you open the blinds the right way you will still be able to see out, but people won't be able to see in. To do this you open them so that the slats point upward inside the room. This is a trick that my late aunt taught me when I was a teen ager. Have you went outside at night and left your lights on and tried to peek throught the drawstring holes? If you see anything at all, I bet it wouldn't be enough to see if you are alone or whatever. If you still feel you need more privacy you could buy sheer curtain panels and hang them to cover the blinds, or else buy tension rods that would fit inside the window frame and hang the sheers inside the blinds. That would kind of filter the view.

I have also heard about spritzing water on the window and putting wax paper on the glass. I have also heard of doing the same with bubble wrap. The wax paper is in grocery departments in the same section as foil wrap and baggies, etc. The bubble wrap is in the stationary department at my local WalMart. You can also buy sheer curtain panels, etc. at WalMart. Before buying anything I would suggest opening your blinds the way I said and then go outside, standing quite close to the windows and see how much you see in. I would also do this at night and try looking in the drawstring holes. Do a little experimenting with how you open your blinds, you might have to make a few trips in and out to get the right degree of opening, but it does work.

Here are questions related to Privacy Window Coverings.

Question: Privacy Window Treatment Ideas

I live in a 1st floor apartment with windows an 3 sides of my living room. I would like to be able to sit on my couch at night watching TV or reading and still be able to glance out the window, but not have people walking by on the street able to see in. I also would like to be able to leave the bedroom blind open at night and not feel people are "peeping". What type of product do I need to be able to see out, but will keep people from seeing in? Something that is removable and leaves no stickiness, preferably.

By Gayle from Rochester, NY

Most Recent Answer

By Carol Swanson [17]06/06/2012

I recently read a magazine article in an outdated Woodworking magazine about film that is sold now for windows. The films come in different patterns or plain. Some have a detail at the bottom. The one they showed had a duck for a bathroom. But the plastic window film described in the article gave the look of frosted glass, but it could be removed at a later date. I think that makes it perfect for a rental property.

I thought they looked rather classy. I believe the article said they were sold at stores like Lowes or Home Depot, but I'd be sure to check online, too.

Good luck