Growing a Banana Plant in Texas

We were given a small banana tree when the neighbors were minimizing their stand. It isn't doing too well right now. Considering the weather, the fact it was not re-planted for a few days, and that it was planted in the shade. I'd like to purchase one that is correct for this climate and start again in the spring. Any suggestions?

I'd go to a really good nursery - NOT Walmart - and get suggestions. You could also contact your extension service. They should know. My grandparents lived in Texas City and had a beautiful banana tree.

Bananas growing on a tree.
Growing Bananas
Home and Garden Gardening AdviceNovember 4, 2008
Europe on a globe.
Plant Hardiness Zones for France
Banana Split
Making a Banana Split
Sliced banana bread on a cutting board.
Freezing Banana Bread
Texas Brownie
Texas Brownie Recipes