Making Fleece Scarves for Gifts

Can you tell me how to make a fleece scarf?

By Chris from Fall River, MA

If you can find it, buy a quality Non-Pill fleece. Cut strips about 60 inches by about 8 inches long. (you don't need to sew or finnish the ends because fleece doesn't fray) Next, punch holes with a hole punch or make tiny slits with sharp scissors (fto do this, simply fold the fabric in half & make tiny cuts) Put these holes or slits along the bottom half-inch of the scarf for hanging fringe.

Then using a crochet hook pull a matching color of yarn through the holes or slits then tie knots to hold yarn in place (a "lanyard' knot can be used instead of knots with many types of fringe) Lastly, lay the scarf flat & fold it in half so the ends are directly on to of each other & comb the fringe straight with your fingers & take very sharp scissors & cut the fringe straight at about 8 inches (or so) long. If you fold the scarf in half, you can cut both ends of fringe at the same time & at the exact same length.

Easy as Pie!

* Pick a nice matching yarn to use for fringe. The fancy fringe is what will make these scarves really special! ...If it were me, I'd probably mix 2 or 3 different textures of yarn together in the same scarf. If your yarn frays, be sure to knot the ends about an inch or so from the ends so it won't fray all the way up. You can also use a product called "Fray-Check".

One of the best things you can use for fringe (that no one thinks of) is (#18, 3-ply) shiny black nylon crochet twine. Most Walmart's have it & sell it with the yarns. It comes on small spools for just under $5. It's usually used to make purses with. I absolutely love the way the ends fray! You simply cut the nylon fringe to an inch longer that you want it, then knot the ends about 3 inches from the bottom, then you have to un-twist the ends so they will fray. Mix this with several other types of yarn & you'll have a wonderful fringe that can't be beat! This nylon is shiny & looks absolutely fascinating. Kind of Gothic or Victorian. It hangs & moves with a slinky feel. When you tie the knots to hold the fringe, you can place a drop of fray-check or clear nail polish in or on the knot so it won't come undone.

Beads can also be added to your fringe. One trick is to use a piece of fish line that's folded in half to help get the beads on to the fringe. Just fold the fish line in half then insert both ends into the bead, & in the loop of fish line that's at the back of the bead, put the yarn in it & pull the ends of fish line through so it pulls the bead on to the yarn or fiber. If you're putting a whole bunch of beads on, you may want to buy a "big-eye" needle".

It's a needle that opens in the center instead of on the end & it will hold any size of yarn. I like plastic beads (IF you can find nice ones!) because they weigh less that glass. If you use glass, use small beads because of the weight. If your fabric is a solid color, for a fancier scarf, you can sew beads on to the fleece scarf itself. but remember to make the front look as nice as the back. You'll see both sides!

You can also just cut fringe along the ends of the fleece, any length you want and about the width of a finger.

Cut a 7" wide scarf, fold in half lengthwise,cut half inch fringe 3" deep, tie a knot in top 2 pieces of fringe,tie a knot in next 2 pieces on opposite side of scarf repeat until all fringe is tied. These make cute scarves you can dress up or down.

December 5, 2011 Flag

Does anyone know where I can get a print out for some of these projects? I would love a picture also, so that I know what I am doing. There are a few different kinds I would like the plans for.

By Sandy

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Google no-sew fleece scarves or whatever other item you want to make. You should find all kinds of ideas. Also go to the Joann site and look for projects, they might have something.

I don't have a pattern for it, but my friend made me one last year.

It is about 6 inches wide, and about 3 feet long. On the ends, she cut into it in 1 inch strips, about 3-4 inches long, making a 'fringe'.

With the 'fringe', she put coordinating beads on each strip, tying a knot in between some of the beads, and with some of the fringe strips, just putting on beads, and tying a knot at the end, to keep them from coming off (looks sort of like the beaded braids women used to wear).

I love it and get lots of comments when I wear it! Best of luck to you, and hope you find what you are looking for!

Try here for simple instructions, pictures, and ideas for more: ... jectsandtips/a/SimpleFleeceScarf.htm

Fleece yardage is 56 - 60 inches wide. Cut whatever length you need (I like 12-18 inches wide) across the entire width of the fabric. Mark each end about 3 or 4 inches in and cut strips every 1/2 to 3/4 inch up to the line you have marked. You can tie a know in each strip, or put a bead on each strip, or just leave them be. Easy, warm, fuzzy, and fun!

October 21, 2009 Flag

Did you know that you can make scarves from fleece, just like you make blankets? My daughter made herself one at college. She used plain white fleece and then bought fringe to put on and the total cost was less than $3. Everyone loves fleece and this is just one more creative way to use it. Also another great thing for those of us who do not sew.

By Robin from Washington, IA

Gotta stay warm during the winter. First, determine with your kids the width size, by comparing various other scarves. Next, take them to your local fabric store and let them look through all the fleece fabrics. Even if they like the more expensive fleece prints, it doesn't matter, because it won't take much. A nice scarf these days easily starts at $6. Even the most expensive fleece fabrics will be $6/yard, and you won't need half that much. And don't worry; sometimes fleece is $1/yard. Anyway, ask the sales person to cut the fleece to the width size you're looking for. (It doesn't matter if they have to charge you slightly more; the time and frustration it saves is worth it.)

At home, decide if you want fringe, and if your fabric can handle it. (Notice esp. what the ends look like. Also, if it's a festive print, you probably will not want fringe.) For fringe have the kids (if they're old enough) make fringe, simply by cutting the ends about 3 inches long and about 1/2 inch apart. These make warm, pretty scarves. Nobody will know they're homemade.

By Jen from Rock Hill, SC

Making Scarves for Gifts

Here are links for patterns:

Susan from ThriftyFun

By ThriftyFun

Woman wearing a fleece scarf.
Making a Fleece Scarf
Holidays and Parties Christmas Gifts HomemadeOctober 21, 2009
Recycle Sweaters into Scarves
Recycling Sweaters into Scarves
Making Fleece Hand Warmers
Making Fleece Hand Warmers
Fleece Fabric
Making a Fleece Doll Blanket
Pillows covered with scarves.
Craft Uses for Old Scarves