Flatten Packages For Quicker Defrosting

This is a tip for easy storing and thawing of ground beef, turkey, chicken, or bulk sausage. Divide into 1 lb. portions and place each lb. in a gallon zip lock bag. With the bag zipped closed, flatten by hand or roll meat flat with a rolling pin. The thinner the better! Now the bags can be stored in the freezer stacked flat. They take up much less room. When ready to use, the meat thaws in 15-20 minutes. This works well for dough too. With veggies, spread them out in the bag before freezing.

After you put the meat in the bag and flatten it, use a chopstick, or the handle of a wooden spoon to make indentations to divide the meat into fourths inside the bag. Then, if you don't need a full pound of meat, you can break it off 1/4-lb. at at time for ease.

Thanks for the sensible idea! Good thought. I like the chopstick one, too. We do this with rice. Precook, fill and flatten bags and then freeze. One time we even got it to work with stew! It had to be cooled first, and the ziploc bags were top quality, but it worked.

Thank you for the best tip I've seen in a long time!

Great ideas for freezing ground beef. I do the same so if I need a little, it's convenient. What I do is make patties out of my ground beef before freezing them. Cut squares of wax paper the size of the pattie and place a piece on each side of the pattie and put the patties in a zip lock bag. The wax paper keeps them from sticking together.

A frozen piece of meat.
Freezing Meat
Food and Recipes FreezingJanuary 14, 2009
Woman Exercising Abdominal Muscles
Exercising Abdominal Muscles
Two colors of frozen ravioli.
Freezing Cooked Pasta
Defrosting Your Freezer
Defrosting Your Freezer
Care Packages for Troops
Sending Care Packages to Troops
🎄
🍂