Browsing: Stretching Butter With Oil

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Stretching Butter With Oil

There are butter spreads on the market that combine butter with various types of oil, such as olive oil. You can save some money by making your own blended spread. This is a guide about stretching butter with oil.

cooking oil
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

February 21, 2010 Flag

I was reading a tip on how to make butter go a long way. It stated to warm the butter slightly, then add equal amount of canola oil then blend together.

What is canola oil? I live in the U.K and haven't heard of this, but would like to try this tip. If anyone has any other ideas for making butter stretch longer for my budget, I would appreciate your input. Many thanks.

By Helen from U.K

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You can also warm the butter and add the same amount of honey, mixing until fully cooled. This is a nice spread for breads, cereals, etc. and can be used sparingly.

Hi again well I have tried 1 of the tips for blending butter with oil I used extra virgin oil but found the taste too strong so I am going to do it again with olive oil which is not as strong I know it is down to individual taste so I will let you know what works for me once again many thanks to all the replies. helen x

Hi again just to say I mixed the butter with olive oil instead of the extra virgin oil and it worked well without the strong taste, so many thanks again for your replies. helen x

Hi there,

Canola oil is just a very cheap highly processed vegetable oil. I recommend Olive oil to stretch your butter I have been doing this myself for quite a while to get away from margarine. I don't measure anything just use a fork to mix it then an electric whisk. Seems to work well for us.

Read More Answers...

March 15, 2010 Flag

Stretch your butter budget and make it a little healthier. Save money on buying butter spreads. Make your own and know what those ingredients are that are in it!

Cut back on saturated fat and use much less butter on your toast and muffins by softening 2 sticks of butter to room temperature. Then put the whisk attachment on your stand mixer (I use a Kitchen Aid).

Start whipping those two sticks of butter while you slowly drizzle one cup of vegetable, olive, or canola oil into it. (Your choice of oil). I like the canola because olive oil adds it's own taste to the butter. Canola oil leaves the butter tasting like butter.

Scrape up the sides now and then to incorporate all the butter into the oil. Whip until light and fluffy. It might look like a light cake batter when it's done. Pour it into individual containers with lids and refrigerate until needed.

Use for frying eggs or sauteing vegetables because the oil raises the burning point of the butter and it won't burn as easily. It's delicious on toast, English muffins or crackers. It stays soft right out of the refrigerator. Try grilled cheese sandwiches. The butter just glides across the bread.

I hope you try this. My nutritionist was thrilled when I told her about this.

By Deb from Williamstown, New Jersey

Comment On This PostMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

June 18, 2009 Flag

I have heard you can swap canola oil for the margarine/butter in a cookie recipe. If a recipe calls for 1 cup of margarine or butter, how much oil would I use in it's place? Thanks!

By squirrley from MI

I don't think previous posters understood your question. I don't have the ratios but various oils

can be used in place of butter or other solid shortenings, there is a basic formula for the traditional products, such as butter, lard, plain margarine,etc Since I don't bake cookies or cakes don't know how the substitutions go, but if you call your library and ask them to help you find Tel.# for the Cooperative Extension (its a government org, and very hard to locate in Tel directory) but anyway...call Coop Extension and request the info..they are (or used to be)free

they can tell you or send you a print-out.

While you are at it, if you have any other cooking? ask about those also. They may only be in office certain days, (and in NY state you have to contact them by elevenish) Joy of Cooking (my 30yrs+old one) advises to only use specific recipes that use special techniques when using oil for baking cakes(no mention of coolies) and it has a number of such recipes , A later edition of Joy of Cooking is probably available at any public library, check out the detailed info in the section called Know Your Ingredients. It covers loads of stuff. Best of Health to you and yours

Sorry, I just read moonylisa and she corrected what I wrote. I did not state that the applesauce you use in a 1 to 1 ratio. 1/4 cup butter would be 1/4 cup applesauce.

I'm not sure where I got this information, but here is what I have:

Butter/margarine = Oil

1 tsp = 3/4 tsp

1 tbsp = 2 1/4 tsp

2 tbsp = 1 1/2 tbsp

1/4 cup = 3 tbsp

1/3 cup = 1/4 cup

1/2 cup = 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp

2/3 cup = 1/2 cup

3/4 cup = 1/2 cup + 1 tbsp

1 cup = 3/4 cup

For types of oil to use - Olive oil is the best choice because it is 77% monounsaturated (the "good" fat.)

Extra virgin olive oil - meets exacting taste and aroma standards - Use for dressings, marinades, sauces & for basting meats & drizzling over soup and vegetable dishes.

"Pure" olive oil - all-purpose cooking oil for grilling, sauteing, stir-frying and in pasta sauces.

"Light" or Mild olive oil - is olive oil with just enough extra virgin olive oil added to give it a light flavor and color.

I find good results with half butter & half extra vergin olive oil for all my baking.

Read More Answers...

March 16, 2005 Flag

The price of butter is getting outrageous, I know there is a recipe out there for doubling a pound of butter with oil but I don't know what it is. Anyone?

Thanks,
Barb from Fairview, Mi.

To make a spreadable butter I use 1 stick of softened butter to 1/2 cup olive oil and add 1/2 teaspoon of salt and whip the devil out of it. You can multiply this recipe and freeze it, but I make it as I need it. I only use this as a spread, not for cooking.

This may be of some help:

Stretching butter:

http://thriftyfun.com/tf231490.tip.html

Food and Recipes Food Tips DairyMarch 28, 2013
3 sticks of butter.
Saving Money on Butter
Disposing of Used Motor Oil, Used Motor Oil in a Gallon Jug
Disposing of Used Motor Oil
dirty garage floor
Removing Oil Stains from Garage Floor
Up close photo of a dirty driveway.
Removing Oil Spills from Your Driveway
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on July 21, 2016 at 8:23:46 AM on 10.0.1.205 in 506 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.