Hobo Dinner

Hobo Dinner I

• 1 pound hamburger
  • 1 medium onion, sliced
  • 1 medium green pepper, sliced
  • 2 medium potatoes, sliced
  • 2 carrots, sliced
  • Ad
  • Worcestershire sauce (Sprinkle on liberally)

Layer all ingredients in order given in 9x13 inch pan. Bake at 375 degrees F for 60-70 minutes.

By IMAQT1962 from Illinois

Hobo Dinner II

• 4 hamburger patties
  • 3 medium sliced potatoes
  • 2 medium sliced carrots
  • 1 small sliced onion

Put one patty on tin foil and add some sliced potatoes and carrots on top with a little onion and salt and pepper. Fold the tin foil to seal and put on the grill or in a 350 degree F oven for 1 hour.

By Robin

Hobo Dinner III

• Cabbage (a lot because it shrinks)
  • Potatoes (sliced thin)
  • Carrots (thin)
  • Onions
  • Anything else you would like

Layer ingredients on large sheet of Aluminum Foil. Sprinkle garlic powder on vegetables (optional) or whatever seasoning you prefer. Add a pat of butter. Top with a medium hamburger patty. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Fold in aluminum foil and close up. Bake at 350 degrees F for 45 minutes. Could check after a half hour.

Another option is to make these up and take them with you camping. Cook individual dinners over the camp fire.

Source: This is a recipe my mom used to make at home when I was growing up. I also have made these on camping trips with the Girl Scouts.

By Jayme from Harrisonburg, VA

You can also use the disposable pie tins that come with store bought crusts for the bottom layer of foil. I also add bell pepper and mushrooms on mine and jalapeno peppers on my husbands.

My grandmother called this "Coffee Can Casserole" for some reason.

This sounds easy and good. One question- Is the hamburger raw or browned when you put it in the pan? And if raw,

do you pat it in or crumble it? Thanks, Kathy in Illinois

Happy Mother's Day to all mothers.

The Boy Scouts make a similiar dish. Many years ago (about 30) when we camped out in the woods, I dug a hole about 6 inches deep and so big around (diameter of your item). Placed wood chips or small sticks on bottom, start fire with paper. Place your food items (meat raw) on tin foil large enough to hold ALL items, bring cut edges together at the top and wrap opening tight so food and juices will not escape. Cover with dirt or cast iron lid from a large skillet. Let cook about 90 minutes or uncover and test with eating fork.

You can add other vegtables. Enjoy

i do it with raw hamburger,just patted in the bottom of the pan

I make these alot too...the combinations are Endless! You can also do rice this way...double layers of foil, rice, butter, spices and 2-3 ice cubes.

If you use Kielbasa or Sausage in the hobo dinners, the flavor goes all thru the veggies and I discovered that even picky eaters love them. I put out the ingredients when we have family over and let everyone build their own meal too sometimes.

I never heard of using cabbage, we always used version 2 when I was growing up; my mom had gotten the recipe either from Cub Scouts with my brothers or CampFire girls with my sisters, not sure which.

But, when my daughter went to Girls Camp, they did "foil dinners", in these they used different meats and different veggies. My daughter used marinated chicken, onions, green peppers and mushrooms. You could use any meat that you want with any veggies, just watch your cooking times! Yummy!!!

We make this for one of our camping trip dinners. We use beef cubes, potatoes, carrots, onions and mushrooms. I add beef bouillon and cook them in the foil pans, the loaf cake pan works the best. We make them up according to everyone's taste and mark their name on the foil that covers the foil pan. Stick it on the campfire and let it cook for at least and hour to make sure everything is cooked. Nothing like it after a busy day camping! This year we are going to try it with a chicken version and can't wait to try it.

We used to do this in Girl Scouts, except we used some cream of mushroom soup, straight from the can. Hamburger patty (not cooked), sliced carrots, onions, mushrooms, salt and pepper and a spoonful of the soup, awesome! If my hubby liked cream soups, I'd make them at home in the oven!

Food and Recipes Recipes MeatsAugust 10, 2008
Spaghetti Dinner
Spaghetti Dinner Recipes
Making a Fabric Dinner Roll Holder
Making a Fabric Dinner Roll Holder
Illustration of two kids in costumes.  A witch and a pirate.
Making a Hobo Costume
Freshly baked white dinner rolls.
Saving Money on Dinner Rolls