Chop and Freeze Extra Onion

I've wasted so many onions by only needing half of it for my meal. I put the rest of it in the refrigerator for another time, only to forget it's in there. Then I find it when it's beyond using for anything. Wasteful! I find it's better to go ahead, chop all the onion. Use what the recipe called for, and then bag up the rest of it and freeze.

By Terri H. from NV

I've always had this same dilemma and never thought to do that before :-o Duh! Thanks for the 'think outside the box' tip! :-)

If you chop several at one time you can freeze them in a flat layer in a zip top bag. Just put them in the bag and flatten it. When it comes time to use them you can break off what you need.

Hi Terry, Thanks for the great idea! I have always done this with celery when I bring it home, but I never thought of doing the same with onions. Thanks so much for the great tip. If you don't do your celery this way already, now you can try my tip! Share and share alike, blessings, Natalie

I had a food wagon that I went to auctions, yard sales, etc. When I changed it into an Espresso wagon, I froze the left over onion, tomato, and green pepper slices that we made for your sandwiches.

Over six months later, I found them. They were just as fresh as when I put them in, and were perfect for stew or spaghett! I keep a celery end in the freezer for stews, too.

Something I tried out and it works, is you can freeze canned pumpkin! I tried a little bit in a container, and when I took it out and thawed it, it was the right consistency and smelled just like when I took it out of the can. Enjoy!

This is a great idea for when onions are at their peak and the prices are right! I love the different varities of sweet onions during thr summer and always sad to see the season end.

I always freeze my onions. I take the peels(skins) off,then I chop a whole bag of onions. I put them in a zip lock bag, squeeze as much air out of the bag,as you can, and lay it as flat as you can in the freezer. They are just like when you put them in(except colder),and you only have to chop the onions, when you bring them home. Weezy

Food and Recipes Freezing AdviceNovember 11, 2008
beautiful lawn
Getting Rid of Onion Grass
Cucumbers on ice.
Freezing Cucumbers
Freezing Quiche
Freezing Quiche
Chop Suey Recipes
Chop Suey Recipes
🎄