Substitute For Powdered Milk

Category Substitutions
It may be a challenge to find a good replacement for dry milk solids in a recipe. This guide is about substitutes for powdered milk.

A recipe calls for 1/3 cup of nonfat dry milk. What can I use as a substitution?

By Lakisha C.

In a cookbook I have it says that if your recipe calls for water you just substitute milk for the amount of water it calls for.

I am baking soft rolls. The recipe calls for milk solids is there a substitute?

By Andrea from FL

Substitute milk for the liquid in the dough. You may need to add just a touch more to get the dough to the correct consistency, but you should be fine doing that.

I would like to know if I can use sweet dry whey in recipes instead of powdered milk. If not, what can I use it for? It is so much cheaper than regular powered milk. Thanks and God bless!

Velsgal from Seymour, MO

If you can't find an answer, I'd call or email the company that makes the whey and ask them. Also look up other companies that make whey and check out there web sites and ask them too.

Good luck

Although Whey is sold as "high protein", it is actually the GLUE in milk, and causes mucous like mad in those who are prone to sinus infections, and/or are lactose intolerant.

I'd go with non-fat milk, and not use it too often. It's worth paying attention. God bless you. : )

I have a recipe for apple fritters, to be fried in oil. It calls for 1/2 cup non fat dry milk powder. I am trying to find a suitable substitute. I have read that I can use evaporated milk, but I'm not sure how that will work out. I have a canister of carnation malted milk powder. Would that work?

By Krista M