Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Tips for Saving Money When Income is Limited

Right now we are living on one income as I am unemployed. We are a family of 5: me (41), hubby (38), son (16 no permit), daughter (14), and son (11). It isn't easy but we have made a strict budget and are sticking to it! We also shop at Aldi's, a local Mennonite discount grocery store, and local discount retailers. No extra's allowed right now until I get back to work!

We come up with menus so we only buy what we absolutely need. Money is put aside in our savings every month in case of emergencies and to pay quarterly bills such as trash pickup and water. We do not have cable..use an antenna and we do have a lot of DVDs/videos we have purchased in the past. I am taking a free computer class which also incorporates job hunting skills. I take any free classes available! Check with your local labor department and/or nonprofit agencies for free classes. Thrift stores are a great place to purchase household needs at a low price, as well.

cinlou

Feedback Forum

Feedback about this article is posted here. Want to contribute? Click above to post feedback.

By Sandy in Vermont (Guest Post)02/28/2005

Don't forget that the library has many treat from Videos to DVD's and books on tape too. Also, don't forget that books and magazines can be taken out for an evening of story reading and just dreaming.

By Sandy (Guest Post)02/21/2005

Hi, You are in my prayers. Although it sounds like you really have things under MAJOR control. You are also teaching your children a terrific life lesson about living within your means. Hang in there, good things will come to you.

By Marian. (Guest Post)02/20/2005

Congratulations! You seem to have a very good attitude and great common sense. You should be teaching newlyweds who expect to start out with what their parents took years to accumulate. They (and many others) could certainly learn from you. You have my respect and admiration!

Post Feedback

Add your voice to the conversation. Click here to share feedback.