Measuring From a Pepper Grinder

We like to use the sea salt and pepper grinders that are found in the grocery stores, but when I had to measure for a recipe it was awkward. One day I came up with a very workable solution. I turned the grinder upside down as if I was seasoning my food, but I left the little cap on as I was grinding. When I ground about what I thought was needed, I just pulled the cap off and let the ground up seasoning fall into the appropriate size measuring spoon.

By Sandy from Elon, NC

All this time I've been approximating. I think I threw the tops out but there are a lot of substitutes. Aren't those grinders great. I get them at Big Lots for $1.00 (or did, haven't seen any for a while). Do you or anyone know how to refill them. I think it's a shame to just throw the grinder out, but I can't seem to get the top off.

Food and Recipes Food Tips Herbs and SpicesAugust 18, 2009
Using a Meat Grinder
Using a Meat Grinder
A rusty meat grinder.
Removing Rust from a Meat Grinder
Coffee Grinder
Cleaning a Coffee Grinder
Cleaning a Meat Grinder
Cleaning a Meat Grinder