Bison French Onion Dip Recipe (Copycat)

I am looking for a recipe that taste as close as possible to "Bison French Onion Dip". My brother moved to New Mexico, and they don't sell this dip there. To have four small tubs of it shipped to him would cost over fifty dollars. We can buy it here for a dollar a tub when it is on sale. So, needless to say, that isn't very frugal.

Thanks,
Dawn from West Bloomfield, NY

Is the Bison a name brand for sour cream or something similar?

Editor's Note: They are a dip maker in Buffalo, NY

A very good and reasonably inexpensive substitute may be simply a 2-cup tub of sour cream mixed with 1 envelope of Lipton's dry Onion Soup Mix.

We find it very tasty (with chips, vegetables, baked spuds.)

Cheers,

Rose Anne

Thanks a bunch. I'll send this to him and have him try it.

God Bless,

Dawn

The onion soup mix chip dip tastes better if it is made a day ahead and refigerated. If you crush the soup mix in its envelope with the bottom of a glass or cup so the mix is in finer particles, it blends better with the sour cream.

I have the same problem here in Colorado...no Bison Dip!

Check out the site: https://www.buffalofoods.com/home.htm

They ship Buffalo foods to anywhere in the US. Bison Dip is the one and only!!!

Lipton Onion soup mix won't work because the main ingredient appears to be chives in Bison brand and there is no beef flavoring in theirs. I'm still working on it.

I think I did it. Will someone please try my recipe and give me some feedback? 1 16oz. tub of sour cream, 1 packette of Knorr Onion Chive Dip Mix, approximately 4 tablespoons fresh chive chopped small, and 2 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley. I don't have the actual dip to compare it to, but I went on Upstate Farms Co-op website and Knorr has most of the same ingredients that Bison's has. Give it a shot and tell me what you think.

Has anyone tried the recipe above by Sandy? I am from Buffalo living in Colorado and really miss a lot of the Buffalo food. The problem right now is I'm pregnant and having a major craving for Bison Chip Dip. I have made the french onion soup mix with the sour cream and trust me not even close. Yes it's good but doesn't compare. Help!

There is nothing like the Bison French Onion Dip. I have found nothing that comes close to the flavor. The sour cream and dry onion mix doesn't come close at all... I wish they would expand where they sell - that would solve everything.

Growing up in WNY, I loved this dip. In Florida for the last 25 years, we travel up every year to get some. This year I ordered some shipped from Buffalo Foods last week. Strange thing, it seems different. It has actual little chunks of onion in it. Not the same pure simple sour cream with onion flavor. Not sure I like it, anyone else noticed this?

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one having withdrawals from the Bison dip! Originally, from Buffalo, NY and after traveling by way of the military I'm finally settled in Florida. I beg people to ship me some from home. It's sad when you really love and miss the comfort foods from back home and they're not even within reach (to your liking). Well, just last week I purchased some French onion dip from our local grocery store here in Miami called Heluva Good.

It was the first time I saw it and it comes close to Bison. I couldn't believe that it tamed my craving. Even my 4yr old daughter loved it, who doesn't like onions :) I love Bison and would buy it but unfortunately, it's not available here. The ingredients seem almost the same and the company is also out of upstate NY. Hmmm...makes me wonder. Give it a try and check it out. Looks like it's available all over & tells you the states/stores to purchase on their website. Thanks for allowing me to post this. I hope this helps you obtain some small comforts of home.

In the Orlando, FL area Coburn Farms French Onion Dip is distributed and sold by the Save-A-Lot Food Stores. They are headquartered in Earth City, MO 63045.

The Dollar General Stores, located in Orlando, FL carry a brand of French Onion Dip made by firm in Binghampton, NY. It's product carries a "Penn Maid Dairy" logo. These are not Bison Brand but it comes in a close second. Sour cream is the main ingredient and both sell for less than $2 for 16oz. A big hit with my family of former Buffalonians.

You can order it online, also for more of the WNY favorites, check out The Cuba Cheese Shoppe, I grew up there, and they have nice treats as well.

Had a taste for Bison French Onion chip dip! Those of you familiar with it know what I am talking about! So looking at these posts. I knew what the packet seasonings weren't it! Looking at the ingredients on the Bison Chip dip container ( Via Wegman's online ). Very Simple. Sour cream, dehydrated onion, parsley, & salt. Does the trick. However do not add to much of the dehydrated onion or it gets to clumpy once the onion starts to plump up! You can simply continue to add more sour cream. I also used onion salt rather that just salt to give it more onion taste. I have no measurements. Just did it according to taste. Tastes better the next day so I would suggest making a day in advance. Good Luck! :)

Agree, nothing beats Bison French onion dip but living in Clearwater Florida for last 22 years, have found that French onion Hellavagood brand is pretty close in comparison.

I live in western NY and bison is the only brand I buy. Sour cream with lipton soup mix is not even close. Heluva good is about the closest but still not as good. However when I was visiting relatives in Orlando Florida they served a local store brand called Publix. It wasn't quite as good as bison but very close.

I have moved to California and have tried over 12 different brands of French onion dip and dry packets, looking for that one and only taste you get with Bison brand chip dip. Closest I came was actually Target's "Market Pantry" brand of all things. A month after discovering it Target discontinued it, at least around here. I will have to try a recipe or two listed here, though I am skeptical I will ever find something as good as Bison ;)

If you have an ALDI grocstore near you, their chip dip is close to Bison dip.

I have been making a substitute for me and my buffalo friends here in Colorado.

I take regular Daisy sour cream and add dried chives, garlic powder, salt and onion powder until it tastes right.

I don't measure I just do equal parts except for the salt.

Either lays or order Martin's kettle cooked chips to dip.

My wife is from Buffalo and we live in Connecticut. Her closest substitute is a 12 ounce container of Helluva Good French onion dip moved with 8 ounces of sour cream. We have a Shop Rite supermarket in it area which sells Axelrod Onion sour cream, which isn't bad, either

Upstate Cooperative sells Bison Dip all over the country as the house brand of many grocery stores. It's easy to spot! Just look for "enzyme" as the last ingredient. Bison is the only dip to list enzyme as an ingredient.

If you still can't find it, here's my copycat recipe. Interestingly enough, this recipe can suffer from the same minor production irregularities as real Bison Dip. The depth of onion flavor and saltiness profile can vary which I suspect is related to the age of the onion ingredients.

Parsley or chives? Your choice. Bison Dip is made in recent years with parsley but it used to boast "made with real chives!"

1 lb sour cream

1 tbsp hot water

1 tbsp dehydrated onion

1 tbsp dehydrated parsley or chives

1/2 tsp salt

1/4 tsp sugar

1/4 tsp accent

1/8 tsp onion juice (usually available in the spice section of your grocery store)

Combine dehydrated onion and water and set aside. Wait 10 minutes.

In a large bowl vigorously whisk together all ingredients.

Rest dip in refrigerator at least an hour or preferably overnight.

VARIATIONS:

For lower fat, substitute reduced fat sour cream and increase the Accent by a pinch.

For a lights out veggie dip or garnish, substitute dry white wine for the 1 tbsp water and otherwise follow the recipe. If you have access to actual Bison Dip you can just add 1 tbsp dehydrated onion reconstituted with the wine and mix.

For Bison Bacon Dip (which is hard to find outside of WNY) add 1 tbsp minced bacon or to taste.

Food and Recipes Recipes Copycat DipsNovember 17, 2006
beautiful lawn
Getting Rid of Onion Grass
Strawberries and Bananas
Shoney's Copycat Recipes
French Onion Soup
French Onion Soup Recipes
Honey Mustard Dip Recipes
Honey Mustard Dip Recipes
🎄