Is It Safe to Use a Pitted Glass Cooktop?

My year old glass cooktop is slightly pitted from sugar. How do I know if it has to be replaced? Are the burners safe to use? It's on one of the dual burners and not deep. It is about a quarter circle from top to right. Dang that jalapeno jelly I was canning.

By jd from Jax, FL

If the glass pitting isn't deep, try cooking with it on low heat and see if there's any problem; otherwise you'll have to replace the whole top and I understand it is just as costly to replace as buying a whole new range. I would refrain from using it as much if possible.

Glass stove tops are great, but they do have their drawbacks such as pitting under certain circumstances. Not long after getting my first glass top range, I accidentally turned the wrong burner on to warm something up and had a porcelain teapot (a big no-no) sitting on one of the burners for looks only. Well, when I smelled something like a hot iron, I looked everywhere and finally saw it was the range. I lifted the teapot and spied a tiny pit made from where the pot had sat. I replaced the pot with a stainless steel and threw out the other one so it would not happen again. I've used that burner numerous times without any problem, but I figure that burner will be the first to have one if/when it happens.

Depending on the type of top you have, more-than-likely it is still fully functional, it just won't look as nice as when it was new. Don't be too hard on yourself. You bought the stove to use, and at least you are getting your money's worth.