AdvicePest Control

Control Pests, Don't Eradicate Them

As a reservation raised Native American, I am sometimes surprised at the extremes other country living folk go to, to rid themselves of what they consider outdoor pests.

It's unfortunate that some animals are considered desirable or not an the basis of their appearance. Snakes keep down rodent populations as well as in turn, take their place in the chain of life by providing food for hawks and owls. Snakes are much more afraid of us than we are of them, and contrary to myth, will not 'chase you'. Snakes locate prey through vibration. Heavy vibration simply confuses them so though they may be moving towards you, in reality they are just receiving a sensory overload. (Try standing still)

Feel blessed if you find you have an abundance of toads and frogs in your locale because this is a true indication your surrounding area is healthy and poison free. Toads and frogs are extremely sensitive to harmful chemicals. They eat insects harmful to the products you find on your grocery shelves.
Field mice eat grubs and dangerous larvae. Bats eat malaria and west nile virus carrying mosquitoes.

Native peoples have always been aware of these animals being necessary to a balanced environment, not some evil entities to be feared. Let's educate ourselves and our children to help control, not eradicate. There are many resources available via internet, library, county extensions offices, that can help you modify your environment if you have any of these in abundance. Please, don't let "kill" be your first response.

c.j.cox

While I appreciate, and understand, intellectually, your posting about snakes being helpful, I am TERRIFIED of them, and see no way to get over that. I certainly am not going to spend thousands of dollars on a therapist, who is probably to be more feared than a snake. However, I am tring to not be as afraid, and think I have improved some. I found one in my basement last year, and it sickens me to even talk about it, but I know I would never be that terrified IF it happened again, and I pray that it won't.

At any rate, thanks for your information. Wish you were my neighbor---all of us are afraid of snakes.

C.j.cox, you wrote a great letter! I agree with everything you say. I admit this is an over-simplification, but I think a lot of times little girls are raised to think it's "feminine" to be absolutely terrified of spiders, snakes, bugs, mice etc. Then the little boys are raised to be protectors who step in to the rescue by killing the little creatures that scare the fair damsels so.

I'm not trying to make anyone mad or put anyone down, but think about it. Every living thing has evolved because it is a part of a system that works. Every insect, mammal, bird, plant is here because something else is dependent on it. We need to be smart enough to work with the system rather than poisoning ourselves and trashing the environment just to get a fast crop or a "pest" free house.

I totally agree with you. I'm not fond of snakes, in fact, as a child I was taught to be terrified of them. Eventually, I realized my reaction is what someone else had taught me and that snakes do have a purpose. All insects have a purpose, the good and the 'bad'. We need to live in harmony with them in order for life to exist for all. Thank you for you post. I hope it enlightened some people. We don't have to be bossom buddies but give insects space to do what nature intends for them to do.

Thank you for posting this information especially on frogs. The country property we are moving to has frogs and it makes me feel better knowing that is a good indication the place does not have poisons that will be harmful to my family.

Thank you for explaining the value of frogs to me. I have always loved them and do have quite alot in my yard. Now I realize just how beneficial they really are to our earth!

Thanks again.

Bless you! I live in the middle of nowhere (1/2 mile back off the road, surrounded by big hills, can't see the house from any direction). In the eight years I've lived here I've seen more different kinds of animals and other critters than I'd seen living anywhere else. I like spiders inside because they eat the other bugs (like mosquitoes and gnats), I like the snakes because they eat the rats (besides that, for some reason, I just love them and other cold-bloodeds), I like the bees because they make honey (yum), I love letting the frogs and crickets serenade me to sleep in the spring and summer; I just all-out love living here! We've had fox snakes, black snakes, king snakes and ring necks. We've played with frogs and toads too numerous to mention. I don't kill spiders, bees (if I can help it) or other bugs unless I have to. I even appreciate maggots because they eat what the buzzards won't. I'm not a 'tree hugger' (although, yes, I love them too) but I understand and appreciate the way the natural world is ordered - everything works out the way it should.

TerryfromChilliOH

Bats are often feared creatures that are actually very useful to us. They, too, eat the insects that carry disease and "bug" us. There are sites on the internet that teach how to build bat nesting houses. Hung from trees they will help ensure that you have natural "insect control" all night. They are capable of consuming enoumous amounts of insects per night. They sleep during the day so won't bother you, and no, they do not swoop down into people's hair intentionally! They're fun to watch in the early evening.

I wish there were more people out there that think that way! We even had neighbors who didn't want ducks and geese on their property! The property includes part of a pond!

Good day.

Very much agreed with your observations. Can you suggest a way to discourage RACCOONS from living inside the walls and heating ducts of a house?

They make a loud noise sometimes, making it hard to sleep, and also, appear to be eating away at insulation, and wiring.

Would like to ENCOURAGE them to live elsewhere, and would very much appreciate your advice.

Thanks.

As another Native American who grew up in the city but returned to the country I am deathly afraid of the legless wonder with one mouth.

This must be a childhood fear of some kind because I have no problem with picking up & chasing, lizards, frogs, toads or even mice.

Black snake greeted me in my shed this morning even though mothballs were placed down more than 3 weeks ago. Will invest in lime and sulfur now. Mice

problem has been eradicated prior to Snake moving in. (Or so I thought.:>) )

I agree completely, always have felt that way, why think kill. Enjoy them, watch them, let them live. BUT the ant thing, I hate to kill them, but they are getting in my food. What do you do about that? Thanks, Joyce

I wonder what would be a natural way to handle them?