16th Birthday Party Ideas for Boys

Category Birthday
16th birthday cake.
Planning a birthday party for teenagers can be challenging. This guide is about16th birthday party ideas for boys.

My son's birthday is on April 24th and he invited his three friends to go to Kings Dominion for the weekend but 2 confirmed that were going. Then, one cancelled the day before the trip and the other didn't want to be the only one to go. IT WAS A DISASTER!

I felt so bad for my son. Anyways, we still went to the park with the family. I want to give his friends another chance and I want to do something for my son for his 16th. Please give me some ideas! I would like to do something this Sat. 4-21

Magali from Virginia

What a bummer! But I feel your pain! Mine will be 16 on the 25th! Can you believe it's gone by that fast!

Anyway, due to my son's mental illness I've had to celebrate his 13th (in a BAD place) 14th, 15th and now the 16th NOT at HOME. So remind your son, that family and friends, no matter how little are the BEST!

I listen carefully through the year to my kids , especially as they near a "special" birthday like 13, 16, and 21. They usually mention what they want, but, it's at a time alot of times you're busy with something and don't listen. My son is getting ready to turn 16, and all he can talk about when the subject comes up is having a "get-together" with all the guys, he is involved with a church group. He wants to have all the guys over for a camp out, and eat what he chooses. I just let him talk, and I know he loves it. Alot of times if we are short of money, they are willing to get a smaller present to have the "get-together" or party, they want to do. And that works for me. He's happy / I'm happy. He has a good memory...that's important....

I am a 16 year old guy. MY sister had a huge $8000 party on a 3 level yacht in an expensive on-the-water area about 20 minutes from where we live, and since i'm turning 16 the same year, I feel as if i should do something too. I just don't know what, so any ideas would be great, and theres no budget.

We are having a basketball party at a health club. It was a challenge finding a place with a basketball court to rent out because they are usually for all members to use. We settled for a Sunday as it is less use. The party is split two hours for the boys to just play basketball and the last two hours for the girls to join with music and food, with the court still available for those who just want to play at basketball. By the way 1/2 hour inbetween for the guys to freshen up. This is one advantage of a club because they have the facility and will work with you to personalize it. Not nearly as expensive as my daughters.

I'm going to be 16 soon. I've done the bowling, ice skating, laser quest, camping, and my mum and dad think paint balling is too dangerous. I don't want to do a scavenger hunt. Please help me think of something original, because my parties are always remembered!

Hey guys I'm gonna turn 16 in 22 days on the 21st of October and I really wanted to have a party but my parents decided to move to the river land so we did! Now I live 4 hrs away from were I use to live and now I have only meet a couple of friends, but it's school holidays and I don't know what to do now please help me out, if you have any ideas please email me on buddyweed_05 AT hotmail.com Cheers

I just want to provide feedback to Ben, who's parents think paintball is too dangerous. Ben, I am the mother of a soon to be 16 yr. old son and an 11 year old son, and I've played more paintball than both of them (only we played on our own and on private property...that can get a bit dangerous, but doesnt' have to)! If you parents find a reputable paintball course, they're set up with all of the safety gear you need and have the place set up with plenty of "duck and cover" spots. If you have anyone who is opposed to the possiblility of bruises, they MAY want to sit the paintball game out, but other than that, you'll all be fine.

Otherwise, for our son's 14th birthday, we'd just finished a half-pipe (he was an AVID skateboarder) and hired a local teen band to play while the guys skated (with parental signed permission). You don't have to do the half-pipe, but a teen band really doesn't ask for more than a donatation (we gave them $100), and what could be cooler than to have a live band play your birthday! All his friends said that was one of the best parties they'd ever been to, and even better that his parent's actually hired the band!

Check with your friends at school to find a band or call a local music shop...don't have one of those, try the school music teacher. They can usually tell you who takes their music seriously enough to get together with friends to form a band. Or you can try your local community center to see if, like ours, the local teens have a community group. If your community has a teen group, they will most likely have flyers for any and all local teen bands.

I only wish I could afford to buy my son a truck or car? What do you buy him when he turns 18? Parents give to much, that is why we have spoiled kids.

Instead of buying the 16 year old a vehicle, tell him what ever he makes by work a job in a ? period of time you will match it to help him purchase a vehicle. A little hard work never hurt anyone. Teach him responsibility not dependency.

Hi, actually my boyfriend is turning 16 and he actually asked for a surprise something for his birthday. I would love to do this, and surprised that i had not thought of this before for him, but his mom and I are rather busy and are fresh out of ideas for the moment. He says that he doesnt want anything and nothing too expensive, but doesn't everyone say that? Please help me if you have any ideas about surprising him when he is already expecting it.

My son birthday its on jan 18, he want a party, but I don't know what to do. I don't have any ideas for boys birthday.

I like the idea of taking the kids to a local hotel that has a pool and other activities in walking distance. Get a room for the adults only and one for the kids. They will have a good time and the chaperones will always be close by to look in, but don't get headaches from the craziness.

I turn 16 on June 8 and woiuld like to have a party June 7 but i don't know what i should do. We don't have tons of money but enough to have fun. I want all my friends to remember this party. What can i do to have a great party that my friends will enjoy?

My son will turn 16 July 17th, 08 and he wants to have a super 16 party so my husband and I have reserved the local skating rink for a private party. He's decided on a "black out" theme where he wants everyone to wear black! He will be handing out invites the last week of school at his school and other local jr highs to all of his friends and associates. The kids can skate, dance, and socialize and just have a good time celebrating my son turning 16! I think its gonna be a lot of fun and thought the idea would shed some light on ideas for your son's birthday. As for decorations he wants me to incorporate as much of his favorite colors (blue and black) into it (balloons, tableware etc.) We will have food which the employees at the rink will serve, and their dj will be playing music from a list my son has put together and last but not least, for favors he has compiled a list of his favorite songs and we will make CD's to give everyone! I hope my idea for my son's party can help

I need help with some party ideas for my son that is turning 16 in February. He says sweet 16 parties are not just for girls. My problem is I have no ideas and every party we have tried to give him no one shows up for it.

annmariereinig from Beaverton, MI

Have you asked you son for input on things he likes? If no one shows up for the parties in the past maybe it would be wise just to let him invite a couple of friends to go out and do something fun. Extreme bowling and laser tag are both really fun.

I hired a DJ for my daughters 16th birthday. We had over 40 kids in our house. I made appetizers, her favorite cake and soda. To break the ice her little 5 yr old sister and friend danced the macarana. After that everyone was dancing. Every one including the boys had a great time.

Both my boys wanted the same type of party when they turned 16...Paintball. We have a local place that sits on about 5 acres and they were allowed to bring 5 friends and spend the afternoon playing on the paintball course. They also had a party/game room that was ready for them to chow down in once they were through playing.

i have never heard of a sweet 16 for a boy. But I am wondering about your last sentence. Why has no one ever shown up? just a thought.

I had a "sweet" 16 party for my son. We live in a warmer climate, but we had a DJ set up in our garage, and dug a firepit and put haybales around it - a safe distance away, of course - for them to sit around. We had soft drinks in a big cooler on ice, food on tables in the garage, and the basketball goal was also right there for them to play - guys and girls! They all seemed to have a good time, I didn't do a lot of decorating because it was more "rustic", and his younger brother wanted one just like it when he turned 16! Good Luck!!

Our young teens & their friends, a mix of boys & girls, enjoyed being taken out to dinner at a nicer (not extravagant) restaurant of the birthday kid's choosing. The teens sat at their own table & had a really nice time. The idea came from the birthday girl herself & they all had fun, under the supervision of her parents from another table. This may not sound thrifty. You must compare the cost of the restaurant against anything else you would do to see if it works for you. Another thing they like is for the birthday kid & some good friends to be treated to a movie & perhaps pizza before or after at the host's house, or go to a fast food restaurant.

The paint ball, bowling, laser gun, arcade, obstacle course, Scavenger Hunt, sounds like he'd get more to accept, if he has friends he hasn't turned off for any reason. A suggestion: Make a concerted effort to encourage him to read library or church library books on how to win friends, making certain it's on his level, full of visual pages, and discuss with him how you have made friends in the past.

Often it's because they want to do things he doesn't or vice versa, as you know. It's acceptable to invite only a few and have an "sleep-over/steak night" with balloons filled with dollars hanging from the top edges of the ceiling by tacks in the stems, complete with streamers and a nice original cake or giant oatmeal pizza. Guys love Pizza, so if not a full meal, go for drinks, chip/dips, pizzas and clear out a room. They can call their own for a night, with you disappearing for the most part, checking only a few times throughout the evening. You could offer BIG BREAKFAST for the BIG GUY, complete with big sliced fried potatoes, TEXAS Toast (thick slices), diagonally sliced Kielbasa Sausage, and scrambled eggs, with Hot Chocolate galore and even coffee since they're "Older" then.

Going to the rifle/pistol range, is good for that age if Dad can supervise and there is permission from parents. If you know of anyone with a farm and an ATV or two to rent, take a few friends there. Teen boys love those things. Don't even SUGGEST that anything's "sweet", because being a sixteen year old boy in this generation is just short of Romeo's rage, along with a lot of moral confusion to boot. Mix it up, get input from the son but encourage him in the way he should go, not just any old way. After all, you're the steward/parent God chose

to raise him, right? God bless, encourage, and help you. : )

I am looking for a boy who is ready to be 16 but he didn't want this big party just wants friends over.

What do I do?

My 16th birthday is coming soon, but idk what to do. I am a boy and I want 20 people to come to my birthday. We have a small house and are low on funds. Please help on ideas. I want it to be fun.

My 16th birthday is coming up in May and I don't know where or what to do. I don't want a party because I would prefer it to be just me and my closest friend. Any ideas or suggestions with places to go on the sunshine coast or Brisbane area? Thankyou.

By Ashleigh-rose from Sunshine Coast, QLD

I need assistance to plan a Boy's 16th birthday, Asian themed (not a 'sweet' 16). Decorations and games need to be cool, not child-like. What do 16 year olds want to do? He recently relocated and wants to make an impression of not being too dorky. I thought of hiding clues in fortune cookies to find presents? I'm making a cake shaped like Chinese take out and sushi sides (cake). Serving General Tao chicken and rice. It's an afternoon party in October 08.

Robin from Milford, CT

My birthday is December 26th, the day after Christmas, that sucks because everyone will be home relaxing and enjoying their time with their family. I don't know what I should do. Can you please help me/give me options?

By Sheldon

My best friend is having his 16th birthday party after delaying it for way too long. I'm a girl so it's going to be a mixed party, but the thing is he's not into huge parties and the social aspect of things. He's more academic and his mother is not exactly open to him socializing and being out of her site for anything. Any ideas?

By Kendyll S.

I'm turning 16 soon and I want to throw a party for a bunch of friends. Please help me. I need ideas, party themes, anything is helpful. Please. Think big! Thanks.

By Daniel F.

My son is having his 16th birthday in a couple of of weeks, and I want to do a Skyrim themed party. Any ideas on decorations? I am thinking of making him a PS3 controller cake. I am having a hard time finding anything on the internet. Any ideas and help is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

By Tanyisha H.

My son is turning 16 on New Years Eve! In the past we have delayed his celebration so friends will be in town, etc., but this one we can't. He does not have his license yet so we are not doing the car thing. Any suggestions?

By Marnina from Santa Barbara

What are some good party ideas for a boy turning 16?

By Ivana

I want to have a birthday bash and I want it to be a big one, but it's at my care home in Leeds and I only have a limited budget. Should I just order a hall?

By Paul from Seacroft UK

I have no idea what kind of party I want for my 16 birthday party. It's on the 27 of September. Do you guys have any suggestions?

By Stefan A.

My birthday is coming up in May and I'm not sure what I wanna do for my birthday. Like I want to do something like with me and some of my friends, but I'm not sure what to do. There's so many things that I could do that I can't figure out what I want to do. Any suggestions?

By Daniel from Port Colborne, Ontario, Canada

My parents are gonna throw me a party when I turn 16. It's gonna be exactly on my birthday. I want a party with family and friends. I need ideas for the party. Please help!

By Michael M.

I am turning 16 on Sunday and want to have my party this Friday. I have no idea what I want to do, but I want it to be just me and about 12 girls. I want it to be fun, but don't know where to have it, and I don't want it at my house. Please help.

By Paige from MN

Answers:

Looking For Places To Go On My 16th Birthday

You could go to a skating rink, have a picnic in a nearby park, go to a ball game or a movie together. Even just go out to dinner at a place you can afford. (09/07/2010)

By redhatterb

I like redhatterb's ideas. If you are adventuresome girls, you could give paintball or laser tag a try!

Personally, I'd go for a movie and then either ice cream cake at a Dairy Queen, or pizza and cake at a pizza place. Let the restaurant know you are coming for a birthday party so they will reserve a table, and order the cake ahead of time. Most restaurants will get one for you. And having the parade of cake with sparklers and singing waiters from the kitchen is always a hoot! (09/10/2010)

By louel53

Pizza party is good, do you have a Chuck E Cheese? (09/10/2010)

By knitter926

I have 5 kids, all of whom have their birthdays between January and April (twins included, who want separate parties this year, double whammy), so I am definitely on a budget.

My oldest, because he's the oldest, has kind of got the minimum the last few years and is turning 16 in April. I would really like to do something special for him. Anyone have any ideas? Also, his birthday is April Fools Day if that sparks any thoughts.

By momof5 from British Columbia, Canada

Answers:

Son's 16th Birthday Party Ideas

When my son was turning 16, we asked him what he wanted to do for a party. He really didn't have anything in particular so we gave him $100 for him and a few of his friends to go out for pizza and to a movie. Of course in Iowa, you can drive at 16 so this was a big deal to go by themselves.

The other thing you could do is arrange for a sitter for your other kids and tell your son you are taking him to dinner. Have some of his friends already at the restaurant and have a little surprise party for him. You could also do this at your house if you wanted. Good luck! (02/16/2010)

By CRMom

Son's 16th Birthday Party Ideas

Paintballing with friends
Movies with friends
Beach bday with boogie boards packed lunch and let the boys run around (02/17/2010)

By staygolden

My 16th birthday is coming up and I really don't know what to do. I want to spend the day with my friends but I don't know where to take them or what to do so that we can enjoy ourselves.

Ashleigh in Bracknell

Answers:

Bowling, miniature golf, the beach, picnic in the park, serve others by volunteering for Habitat for Humanity or a food bank. If it's all girls, go to a real tea house where you can order tiny sandwiches and drinks.

Have a traveling party. Go to one house for appetizers, another for salad, another for the main course, another for dessert, the last for a movie and snacks.

Go to one of those pottery shops where you pick an item, a plate, a mug, etc. and then you paint it. They fire it up and you pick it up another day.

Take a belly-dance class together. Or Tai Chi. Or Aikido. (09/10/2004)

By rabbithorns

I'm not sure where Bracknell is, but they have these great places called Gameworks. You buy a ticket and it's a sort of adult arcade. As in no one under 16 allowed in, and unless you're 21 you get booted at midnight. But they have great food, live bands and pool, arcade games, simulated roller coaster rides...it's like an indoor amusement park. And it's all for one price so no surprises. I hope this helps. And HAPPY BIRTHDAY! (09/10/2004)

By Suzanne S.

RE:Great places to go!

It depends where you are, for example America, Uk, etc. You can have a beach party, sleep-over (they're the best), amusement park, pool party, etc. Or if you want real fun, then go to a big amusement park with lots of friends and family. Afterward, go to a pizza place and then at the end, gather a few friends for a sleepover around your house with lots of popcorn drinks etc. and watch a great movie.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY! (10/13/2008)

By UK Princess

Go shopping, see a movie, stay at your house and have some fun, or do something that you all like to do. (02/13/2009)

By Katie

It's my son's 16th b-day at the end of March. We've talked about having a DJ and/or karaoke. Any ideas?

Charless from Indiana

Answers:

Son's 16th Birthday Party Ideas

If he and his friends would enjoy it and you have a way to buy or borrow it, the "Guitar Hero" video game seems pretty popular, although I've never tried it.

I do like your idea of doing the DJ and karaoke thing. I just hope your son and his friends aren't shy or self-conscious! (01/10/2009)

By JustPlainJo

Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.