Measuring Soft Butter

I only have soft butter and need to know how much is 1 stick?

By Leah from Abilene, TX

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

Well I always thought one stick was 1/4 cup.

Well, things have changed during the past few months so it's going to depend on how old the recipe is. It used to be that a stick of butter was always 1/2 cup (or 8 tablespoons) but now a lot of companies are packaging the sticks in 1/4 cup (or 4 tablespoon) sizes.

I hope people start writing the actual measurement amounts from now on to reduce confusion.

Any stick butter or margerine I have ever bought is the 1/2 cup sticks. I imagine the smaller sticks are good for some things or some people. I know where I live you can buy a carton of 6 eggs, instead of the full dozen.

One stick = 1/2 cup. I just looked at a stick of butter in my freezer.

According to the Betty Crocker conversion chart at beetycrocker.com, one stick of butter = 1/2 a cup. Here is the link if you want to pull the chart of conversion tables up for common ingredients.

http://www.bettycrocker.com/how-to/ ... n-Ingredients-Yields-Equivalents.htm

I know the attached image is hard to see, but on every stick of butter that I have ever bought it is printed right on it. You can see the measurements printed on the edge. The last mark is for 1/2 cup.

Leah, eight level tablespoons of soft butter will equal a stick, both come out to a 1/2 cup.

Answer

Food and Recipes Food Tips ConversionsNovember 9, 2009
Jar of peanut butter surrounded by peanuts.
Homemade Peanut Butter Recipes
Stack of colorful measuring cups
Organizing Measuring Cups
Measuring Elastic
Measuring Elastic for Clothing
Soft Boiled Egg
Making a Soft Boiled Egg
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on April 14, 2016 at 10:49:47 PM on 10.0.1.174 in 421 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.