Wedding Gift Ideas for a Second Marriage

My brother is getting married but isn't having a wedding celebration. They are just going to the city and signing the papers to make their union legal. I won't be there but I will be the following week and wanted to bring them something.

She already has 4 of her own kids (her second marriage) and they are in their 40's. They have a house together with everything and don't need anything. Any ideas? They are both very low key people. Thanks!

By Lisa from Halifax, NS

Are they Christians? If yes, you might want to get a crucifex for over their bed. I'm Italian and this is traditional for us.

If they're Jewish, you might want to get them a mezzuah to put and the doorway to their home. Hope this helps and have a great time visiting with them!

Thanks so much for the idea but they are not religious at all though I think my sister in law might like a Buddha figure actually! :) Something to ponder.

Gift cards are nice. We just got my step-grandson a clock that shows the temp in the room and has another unit so that you can see the outside temp from inside on the clock. We got ours at Walmart but I'm sure other places have them. Also, a photo album for them to start a collection of pictures of their lives together would be nice.

My cousin just married hubby number five. I know. I quit stressing over the proper gift by hubby number three. So we all get her bed linens. You can never have too many. And she actually enjoys dressing her bed now. What with two closets full of comforters, and silk sheet sets. Throw in some matching curtains and it can be an elegant statement they both can enjoy, but if the marriage ends, they make for a really good bonfire as well.

If you are crafty you could pick up one of the simpler marriage cross stitch kits and frame.

Gift cards for entertainment if they don't need "things" or family passes to a local attraction like a zoo or amusement park. Restaurant GC, movies theatres, rentals etc, or if possible offers to babysit.

Towels, after so long they start to look ratty but with four kids that is something they don't splurg on. Get the big sheet towel for the adults.

Try an "On This Day" framed gift. Get the important stats from "today" (#1 song, who was president, stock market quotes, the price of eggs or bread or a car or house or whatever ...you get the hint) Print it out in a nice font on a nice piece of paper and frame it. and the last line could read "But most important, *** and *** were joined together as husband and wife!" Or whatever phrase you see as appropriate! If you want, you could find the same things from the birth years of the bride and groom and make a 3-piece group (his birth year, her birth year, and the wedding year.) I made one of these for my DH for his birthday (of course it finishes " But Most Important * was born". He loved it and now he wants me to make one for my b-day and our wedding date to (as he says) "complete the theme".

I like several of these ideas, especially the "on this day" framed set. Another thing they might enjoy is a nice bottle of wine or sparkling wine, and if they don't drink alcoholic beverages, sparkling cider or juice. It feels festive, and as you said, they do have enough "stuff."

Sounds like the one thing they will need is time. Give them coupons for babysitting, house cleaning, ironing, doing their shopping for them. Anyone would appreciate these for any occasions. They will then have time to spend with each other. Not having quality time to concentrate on your marriage is the first mistake new couples make. Make it possible for them to do so.

Thank you for all the feedback. I would love to give them coupons for babysitting but I live 1000 miles away :(

I like the idea of a movie night gift basket or gift cards! I have another week to decide! :)

Weddings GiftsOctober 13, 2009
Plant wedding favors.
Giving Plants as Wedding Favors
A married couple in a moutain setting.
Ideas for a "Green" Wedding
Colorful Bridal Bouquets
Choosing Wedding Colors
Marriage License
Getting a Marriage License
🎉
🎄