FloorsHome

Repairing a Subfloor Before Installing New Flooring

I'm having laminate flooring put down in an old 1980s condo unit. The floor seems to be "spongy" in some areas and creaking in others. The person who is laying the laminate said that I need to fix it.

Any idea on how to go about this or who to call to have it done? Can a good handyman take care of this kind of job? Can they or I just cut out and replace the section of plywood or does someone need to go under the unit to reinforce it? It's plywood flooring underneath the current carpet. Thanks!

By Lisa from Boulder, CO

You need a new sub floor. Yes a handy man can lay one. It is just a matter of pulling up the old floor and cutting plywood to fit. If the floor is not rotten there is a heavy foam sub floor they can lay on top of the old loose one.

You may not need a new sub floor. A handyman/carpenter can tell by pulling up the carpet and checking out the screws or nails originally used when it was installed. In situations where nails were used, squeaks and 'bounciness' often happen with age. If this is the case, your fixit guy should use screws to re-anchor the plywood. He'll know which kind and size to buy. Problem solved.

I'm sorry it's taken so long to get back to you two, but thank you. I have the floor being put down in 2 weeks so will get a handyman in hear next week. Thank you.