Browsing: Repairing Wood Table Finish

Magic Eraser Took The Finish Off My Wood Table

I spilled cherry Crystal Light on my light wood kitchen table. Without thinking, I used a magic sponge to get the red stain off. The sponge took off the stain and the finish as well. So far I am touching it up with Old English (for light wood). This only works temporarily because when you wipe the table clean some of the wax comes off until there is once again a bare spot. Is there any way I can fix this without refinishing an entire table top (which isn't an option right now)?

SusannL from St. Cloud, FL

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

I have refinished a couple of old things I found at yard sales with Homer Formby's refinishing and very fine steel wool. Just pour a good bit of the Homer Formby formula on the steel wool and move in circular motions until the entire surface is covered. Then, use another piece of steel wool and some clean formula in light, long strokes across the entire surface of the table. After the table has dried, cover with two coats of polyurathane acording to the directions. You can refinish just about anything for a total of $30 or so. Follow the directions and you can't go wrong. All of the items can be purchased at Walmart.

Minwax makes these stain markers you can use to cover small scratches and they have a pretty wide range of colors. You can find them at WalMart or Lowes.

Wood Table Finish
Repairing Wood Table Finish
Home and Garden Repair FurnitureJuly 10, 2006
front of box
Magic Eraser Left Marks
star shaped magic wand
Magic Wand Crafts
Hands polishing a wood table
Cleaning Wood Furniture
Mr. Clean Magic Erasers
Cleaning With Mr. Clean Magic Erasers
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 23, 2016 at 2:10:23 PM on 10.0.0.182 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.