Uses for Disinfectant Wipe Containers

Disinfectant Wipe Containers for Yarn Storage: Have you ever gone to wipe your shopping cart off with those disinfectant wipes but found the container was empty. When this happens to me, I take the empty container to the nearest cashier and let them know the container is empty (so they can replace it). Then I ask if I can keep the empty container for storing my yarn. These containers are just the right size to put a whole skein or ball of yarn in to stop your frisky cat from attacking your yarn when you knit or crochet! Just dump out the remaining alcohol and let dry. Then simply put the skein (or ball) of yarn into the container and thread the end of the yarn through the cross-cut opening at the top. Then you can knit or crochet away!

There's even enough room to store your crochet hook or double sided knitting needles in there with your yarn. And even if you don't have a cat, these containers are a great way to transport your yarn with you if you're like me and like to knit while your hubby drives on trips or to take on vacations, camping and such. The container protects your yarn from dirt, debris and tangling.

Anyone have any other ideas of ways to use these containers cause I have a bunch?

By Cyinda from Seattle

Thank you for sending this tip in! I was wondering what to do with the empty ones. I will pass this on to my daughter who just started crocheting and knitting!

Thanks a million!

Thank you for a very good idea. I keep a perpetual crochet project with me - size 0 needles and size 30 crochet thread. I keep it in a small plastic bag and I've already lost 2 needles that slipped out. A container is obviously what I should be using.

Believe it or not, when I worked for a local daycare, we saved the empty round canisters and lids of wet wipes.

We washed and rinsed them thoroughly in hot water, and then used them to store leftovers in the freezer.

First off, do not store food in any plastic container that is not designed for food. I wouldn't store any food except dry goods in any plastic container, even the ones designed for food. There have been studies showing that the chemicals leech out from the plastic into the food, especially when the food is hot, fatty, and when you freeze the food in the plastic container.

As for a tip for the containers, if anyone is buying the disinfectant wipes, you only need to buy them once to get the container. You can then keep making your own reusable ones. You buy some J-cloths and cut them in half. Layer them and roll them loosely. Now make your cleaner. You can make your own simply by mixing half water and half rubbing alcohol. You can try adding a drop or two of dish soap or hand soap. The alcohol is the disinfectant if you let the item wiped air dry. Or, if you dislike using rubbing alcohol because of it's toxic properties, you can use vinegar (half vinegar and half water with a few drops of soap if you like). It doesn't disinfect as well, but it does kill a lot of germs and it's non toxic. Anyway, once you have the cleaner mixed (about 1/4 or so of the container) place the rolled up J-cloths inside and pull a corner of the first one through the x in the lid. Shake it up to moisten the cloths. Add more liquid if you need to. There are your reusable wipes. Launder them as you would rags and reuse. Save the environment and your money.

What is J cloth and where can I buy it? Great idea?

Thank you,

Sue

I don't see how your skiens of yarn can fit. Mine won't. They are much too large for the container, even the smaller skiens. As for a ball of yarn, only one of 4 inches diameter will fit in mine. That's rather small, I'd use it up in about one half hour.

However, I can see the potential for many other uses.

Disinfectant Wipe Containers
Uses for Disinfectant Wipe Containers
Better Living Green Living ReusingApril 25, 2008
Uses for Lipstick Containers
Uses for Lipstick Containers
Young boy sitting on a step ladder cleaning a wall.
Homemade Wall Cleaner Recipes
Uses for Plastic Dog Food Containers
Homemade Disinfectant Cleaner Ingredients
Homemade Disinfectant Cleaners
🎉
🎄