Bandit (Rat)

Bandit is a 1 year old rat, who we bought at the pet store. She loves to run around on the couch and in the bathroom. She likes climbing all over me. She is very friendly.

Rats get a bad rap. People automatically get squeamish when I say I have a rat for a pet. Rats are very clean animals. They are always washing themselves. They are affectionate and become attached to their owners like a dog or cat.

By Judy from Waterloo, IL

Judy, you certainly described rats very well. Our youngest daughter had an all white rat when she was about 8 years old. Squeeky was just the nicest little pet you could ask for. As you say, as clean as a whistle, and I think Squeeky might have been a clown in a previous life. He was so funny and sometimes as inquisitive as any cat you've ever seen. He could get up very well on things, but often had trouble getting down.

Whiskers wiggling constantly, he'd wait until someone would come by, and reach out to them with his little hands, "Mister can you spare a dime" look on his face.

That was my first close encounter with a mouse or rat, and it was so good that when our girl decided to raise tri-colored mice, we agreed. Bad mistake. Started with 2 and almost overnight had 25. Seemed that way anyhow. Mice are nice too, but try to get two of the same sex. Same with hamsters which were next on the list.

Your Bandit is a very handsome Rat. We have some great memories of our Squeeky, and it was nice savoring them. Thank you for sharing him.

Yes, I agree with Judy, I think they are adorable!

Jennetta from Victoria, BC

Bandit's name certainly matches her markings :-) What a cutie! I love rats! I still miss my buddy boy, Yodi, from way back in the early 70's! He was my very first pet when I moved out on my own.

Judy do you still frequent here? I have some questions about rats and went to the catholic highschool there. if possible e mail me @ shmodaddy AT

A white pet rat being held in a hand.
Caring for a Pet Rat
Pets Pet PagesJuly 12, 2011
Pack rat collection
Organizing Tips for a Pack Rat
grey rat
Homemade Rat Bait Ideas
Getting Rid of Rats
Getting Rid of Rats Inside Your House
Drill Bits
Choosing the Right Drill Bit