Reinforcing a Costume Helmet

I have a Power Ranger helmet that came with a Power Ranger costume. The helmet is split into two parts, the front and the back, and they attach with Velcro. As it isn't an expensive re-creation, the helmet itself is relatively thin plastic that I'm scared might tear at some point.

I would really like to reinforce the entire helmet somehow, but I have no idea how to go about it. The reason being is that I'm hoping this costume can last me a couple of years, and I'm a pretty big Power Ranger fan. My only idea was to duct tape the inside lining of each part of the helmet, so that least it could prevent a tear from starting. I was just wondering to find out if there are any other ideas of what I could do with it so it could last me a while.

By Mike from FL

Answers

Maybe you could dip a square of cheesecloth that is larger than the mask into a white glue/water solution. Hold the cheesecloth up to drain excess fluid back into your solution. Then drape it on the inside of the mask. Press the cloth into the hollows of the mask. Have the nose/chin touching your work surface, let it dry. Prop it up so it doesn't tip to one side. You might need to cut the excess cheesecloth away so that it doesn't droop on to the actual face of your mask. Cutting doesn't have to be perfect. For a closer trim to the edge, it would be easier to wait until it is dry. Then you could cut with scissors along the edge. Cut carefully around the eye and mouth openings. Repeat the process for the back of the helmet.

Crafts Halloween CostumesOctober 13, 2009
Illustration of two kids in costumes.  A witch and a pirate.
Making a Phantom Of The Opera Costume
Making a Batgirl Costume
Boy Behind Fence in Convict Costume
Making a Convict Costume
Girl Dressed as a Nurse
Making a Nurse Costume
🎉
🎄