New England Scalloped Potatoes

I need some help locating a recipe called, New England Scalloped Potatoes. I have found many recipes on the net that have the same name, but haven't found the correct one. I have only had ONE bite of this dish. It tasted as though it was a baked potato, scooped out, and mashed with only sour cream. The person that made it didn't offer the recipe. Thanks!

Michele from KY

I found this recipe on the internet...

could it be what you are looking for?

If not ...this does sounds pretty good anyway! ;)

************************************************************************************

Vermont Scalloped Potatoes with Ham and Cheddar

1 tablespoon unsalted butter (Cabot Creamery Cooperative, Cabot)

1 medium onion, finely chopped (Pillner Farm, Putney)

one-half pound ham, cut into one-quarter-inch cubes or Canadian bacon, sliced into one-quarter inch ribbons (Winding Brook Farm, Morrisville)

3 pounds Russet potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced (Lewis Creek Farm, Starksboro)

1 teaspoon coarse Kosher salt

freshly ground pepper to taste

1 and one-half cups heavy cream (Monument Farms Dairy, Weybridge)

1 and one-half cups whole milk (Booth Brothers Dairy, Barre)

6 -8 ounces cheddar, to make about 2 cups grated (Cabot Creamery Cooperative, Cabot)

Melt butter over medium heat in a 10 to 12-inch saute pan or skillet, preferably oven-proof. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden, about 3-4 minutes. Add ham or Canadian bacon and cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned, 4-5 minutes. Add sliced potatoes to pan along with salt and freshly ground pepper. Toss to distribute onion and ham among potatoes. Add cream and milk to the pan, increase heat to medium-high and bring mixture to a simmer. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Simmer potatoes for about 15-20 minutes uncovered, or until potatoes are easily pierced with a sharp knife but do not fall apart. (If you did not use an oven-proof saute pan, transfer potato mixture to a baking dish at this point.) Sprinkle grated cheddar over the top of the potatoes and bake in oven for 15-20 minutes, or until top is golden and crusty. Let rest for 5-10 minutes before serving. Serves 6.

Note: Be sure to use Russet or other starchy potatoes such as Yukon Gold in this dish; the waxy kind will not do at all. This stove-top to oven method takes less time than using only the oven, although you could do that if you prefer. After you#ve added the milk and cream, skip the stove-top simmer and put the pan directly into the oven for about 45 minutes; then add the cheese and cook another 15-20 minutes.

Thank you Joyful for helping. The recipe I was looking for doesn't have any meat in it or onions/cheese.

Thanks again.

Hi Michele

I'm still searching for you! :)

Could this be it?

Are we getting closer ? ;)

*********************************************************************************

SOUR CREAM SCALLOPED POTATOES

8 oz. sour cream

1/2 c. half and half

1/2 tsp. nutmeg

1/4 tsp. salt

4 med. potatoes (unpeeled and sliced)

In mixing bowl combine sour cream with half and half, and seasonings.

Toss with potatoes to coat.

Put potatoes into a buttered 8 x 12 inch baking dish.

Bake 20 to 30 minutes in preheated 400 degree oven until top is brown and potatoes are tender when pierced with a sharp knife.

Remove from oven and set aside for 10 minutes before serving.

Serves 4.

Joy I think this is it! Oh my goodness, my sis in law will thank you tenfold! She has been looking for a while now.

Can I ask where you found this?

Thank you!

You can email me directly if you would like...ucmelaffn AT aol dot com

Scalloped potatoes in an old blue enamel bowl, on rustic white table.
Scalloped Potatoes Recipes
Food and Recipes Recipes PotatoesJanuary 14, 2008
Freezing Potatoes, Potatoes on white background
Freezing Potatoes
Mashed potatoes with melting butter on top.
Fixing Runny Mashed Potatoes
Scalloped Corn
Scalloped Corn Recipes
sliced sweet potato
Recipes Using Yams (Sweet Potatoes)
🎉
🎄