Training a Dog Not To Beg

My dog Abby (terrier mix) is constantly begging for food, even after she just finished eating! Does anyone have any ideas on how I can get her to stop? Thanks to all!

Morgan from Ontario, Canada

I just tell mine to "go on" & they know what it means. I've had dogs in the past that had to be at least 5' away. But with my current dogs I don't even care. I just don't give them food (most of the time). But they know when we're standing in the kitchen we give out good stuff. And I will take stuff to them in other rooms from the kitchen. I guess it just doesn't bother me any more. They're such good dogs I don't mind their few instances.

Just say "NO" lol.

Don't evereverever give him another reward for begging. No more tidbits. When he begs, say "No" and send him out of the room. It may take a while, but just like people, dogs get addicted to intermittent rewards. Once the rewards stop, the behavior will eventually stop. Understand that if you give in, even once, you'll have to start the process all over again.

My dog trainer said to put training collar and leash on the dog then when you eat step on the leash until the dog is laying on the floor by your feet, keep steping on the leash and just ignore her. She will stop begging, and never feed her while you eat.