Training a Dog Not To Beg

My dog Abby (terrier mix) is constantly begging for food, even after she just finished eating! Does anyone have any ideas on how I can get her to stop? Thanks to all!

Morgan from Ontario, Canada

To celebrate the new year we are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards for people who answer questions on ThriftyFun in January! Click here to find out more...

I just tell mine to "go on" & they know what it means. I've had dogs in the past that had to be at least 5' away. But with my current dogs I don't even care. I just don't give them food (most of the time). But they know when we're standing in the kitchen we give out good stuff. And I will take stuff to them in other rooms from the kitchen. I guess it just doesn't bother me any more. They're such good dogs I don't mind their few instances.

Just say "NO" lol.

Don't evereverever give him another reward for begging. No more tidbits. When he begs, say "No" and send him out of the room. It may take a while, but just like people, dogs get addicted to intermittent rewards. Once the rewards stop, the behavior will eventually stop. Understand that if you give in, even once, you'll have to start the process all over again.

My dog trainer said to put training collar and leash on the dog then when you eat step on the leash until the dog is laying on the floor by your feet, keep steping on the leash and just ignore her. She will stop begging, and never feed her while you eat.

A dog begging in the kitchen.
Training a Dog Not To Beg
Pets Dogs Training AdviceJanuary 14, 2007
pug in a crate
Crate Training a Dog
Pug looking guilty.
Training a Dog to Poop on a Training Pad
Photo of a mistreated Pit Bull.
Training a Dog That Was Abused
agility training for your dog
Agility Training for Your Dog
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 15, 2017 at 11:56:50 AM on 10.0.1.73 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.