Breed Information: Australian Cattle Dog

Breed Description: The Australian Cattle Dog is a sturdy, compact breed, with great agility, strength, and endurance. This breed excels at driving cattle and shows the same sense of duty and courage when protecting its family.

Group: Herding Group

Country of Origin: Australia, 1800s

Purpose of Breed: Herding cattle

Average Size: 35-45 lbs. and 17-20 inches tall

Color(s): Color is either red speckled or blue, blue mottled or blue speckled, with or without markings.

Coat Type: A double-coat consisting of a smooth, straight weather-resistant outer-coat and a short, dense undercoat.

Grooming: Coat requires only routine brushing. This breed requires standard care for eyes, ears, pads, and nails.

Exercise Needs: Australian Cattle Dogs are energetic dogs that need plenty of regular exercise to fulfill their need to chase, herd, and run or they may become destructive.

Temperament: Australian Cattle Dogs are smart, independent and hardworking. They are devoted to their master and tireless when given a job to do. They are alert, trustworthy and courageous, and somewhat naturally suspicious of strangers.

Common Ailments: Prone to hip dysplasia, eye disorders and deafness.

Life Expectancy: Averages 12-15 years.

Trivia: Also called Blue Heeler or Queensland Heeler, the Australian Cattle Dog has been an integral part of the beef industry's success in Australia. As populations spread to huge farmlands, this breed enabled farmers to maintain huge herds of cattle.

More Information: Australian Cattle Dog Club of America

About The Author: Ellen Brown is an environmental writer and photographer and the owner of Sustainable Media, an environmental media company that specializes in helping businesses and organizations promote eco-friendly products and services. Contact her on the web at http://www.sustainable-media.com

Just figured you might want to know that those Google Ads that you host on your site are giving priority to a scammer called Dean Rankin (or at least using that alias). 3 ads for his garbage on this one page alone.

FYI

Brett

I found Ginger, weighing 17lbs, with fleas, worms & ear mites, luckily the vet said she was a cattle dog & fixed her up, now she weighs 38lbs, Had her spayed, micro chipped & she loves her new friend Kayleigh a 4lb Chipin. Min Pinscher/Chihuahua Mix. It took Ginger forever to get potty trained, she has been amazinging with Kayleigh, teaching her what to do & nudging her when she poops/pees on the carpet.

I just wanted to share my photos with everyone of my cattle puppies. They are 12 weeks old, Gemmah female and Thor male. they are awesome dogs, I recommend these dogs to anyone. They are very neat looking and very smart! I guess only one pic is coming up of the male but the female looks just like him, cute!

Ok, this is the girl, Gemmah, I had to repost another one.

I love this breed and if I could have a dog would love another one. Mine that I had years ago when I showed horses was super intelligent and worked the horses in the corral and still was a wonderful loving pet. Can't say enough about this great breed!

Australian Cattle Dog
Australian Cattle Dog Breed Information and Photos
Pets Dogs Dog Breeds Australian Cattle DogApril 20, 2006
Photo of a pure bred dalmatian.
Dalmatian Breed Information and Photos
Cairn Terrier
Cairn Terrier Breed Information and Photos
Australian Shepherd Breed Information and Photos
Blue Heeler
Blue Heeler Breed Information and Photos
🎉
🎄