Remedies for an Itchy Scalp

I have extremely itchy scalp, no dandruff, and thinning hair; any suggestions?

By Carol from Aragon, GA

Best Answer

I had the same problem several years ago, and tried all kinds of different shampoos, including the dandruff shampoos because for the first time in my life I had what appeared to be an awful case of dandruff. When the itching got to the point that I couldn't stand the itching any more I went to a dermatologist and he said I had psoriasis. He prescribed a special shampoo and a lotion that didn't do anything for the appearance of my hair, but the combination sure helped.

It was almost completely gone within a few months and when I went back for a three month check up the doctor was amazed that it had cleared up so fast, as bad as it was. I still have some of the shampoo and lotion left and occasionally I feel an itch that is different than a typical itch and I use the prescription stuff a couple times and the itching clears up right away.

Best Answer

When I had that problem, the doctor suggested using a pine tar shampoo (Neutrogena makes one). It worked. I find my scalp is only itchy in the dry winter months. Good luck!

I don't know about the thinning hair part, but I recently tried Selsun Blue for Itchy Dry Scalp. I feel like I noticed an improvement after just a couple uses. Here is a link, so you know what to look for in the stores:

http://www.selsunblue.com/products_ids.html

I hope you find something that works for you. I know it's no fun! Best of luck!

Hi! I had this problem and tried many shampoos that did not work. Finally, I got Desert Essence Therapeutic Tea Tree Shampoo. It solved the problem. You can get it at most health food stores or online. I am adding a link to where I purchase the shampoo. I have been very happy with this vendor's prices and service. Several family members have also tried this and are now using it. I have tried other tea tree shampoos, but they have not worked as well as this one does for me. Good luck! http://www.iherb.com/Desert-Essence ... t-Shampoo-12-fl-oz-355-ml/11538?at=0

T-Gell shampoo works for me. Good luck.

You are probably allergic to something in your shampoo. Try to find an "all natural" shampoo without any artificial fragrances or colors.

It looks like you have some great ideas for itchy scalp. I too have thinning hair and have started taking a vitamin called High Potency Stresstabs with Energy from Wal-Mart. This was recommended by a customer at my hairdresser's. She was remarking about how it had helped her hair thicken. I can see a difference already and my husband even mentioned to me that my hair seemed to be thickening. It will take at least 6 months to see a BIG difference, but I finally have hope for my thinning hair.

Woman with Itchy Scalp
Remedies for an Itchy Scalp
Health & Beauty Beauty Hair Tips Hair CareMarch 24, 2010
Woman scratching her dry scalp.
Homemade Dry Scalp Treatments
Dog With Itchy Ears
Remedies for a Dog With Itchy Ears
Young woman scratching her head furiously.
Dandruff Remedies
child rubbing eyes
Remedies for Itchy Eyes
🎉
🎄