Freezing Cakes

Can you freeze baked cakes in the cake pan or should you remove the cake and wrap in wax or foil to freeze?

By Rosemary

I'd remove the cake from the pan, wrap and then freeze it.

I have been decorating cakes for about 10 years. I take the cakes out of the oven and turn out of the pan. Let it cool for about 5 - 10 min. While it is still warm I wrap in plastic wrap and then freeze. This keeps the moisture in the cake and makes it very moist. Frost it frozen. It doesnt take long for it to thaw. But if you keep it frozen you wont get the crumbs on the top of the frosting.

I use those aluminium loaf tins when I want to freeze cakes with their own special "lids" so they can be sealed. Cook them on a metal cookie sheet, seems to make the cakes cook better. Then leave them in the loaf tins to cool, put the lids on and write what they are and the date. I then put them in a plastic bag as well to make sure they are definitely sealed. If you freeze them in a cake pan, that means that unless you have a huge amount of cake pans, you have lost the use of the pan.

Freezing Cakes
Freezing Cakes
Food and Recipes Freezing Baked GoodsJuly 18, 2010
A beach towel wedding cake.
Making a Towel Wedding Cake
Fondant cake.
Decorating Cakes With Fondant
Freezing Eggplants, Eggplants on White Background
Freezing Eggplants
Thomas the Tank Cake
Making Character Cakes